front fender replacement

colwell

anyone replaced a fender on a lumina before? how hard is it? I want to save money on the insurance check and pocket the rest and do the work myself if its easy. I messed up my driver side front fender.

Not on a Lumina, but a Celebrity.

It's not hard taking it off: bolts underneath the hood and in the wheel well, along with some retainers.

The hard part is aligning the new one to match the current body lines.

If you can deal with doing yourself and perhaps not having quite perfect, it's all yours! Best of luck!

- RedFox340

The bolts are usually 10mm except sometimes the hood hinge bolts are 13mm.

Sometimes theres 1 or 2 7mm bolts in the door jamb.

Usually about 5 bolts along the top and 2 on the bottom of the fender and 2 attaching the bumper to the fender. There might also be a bracket at the front of the fender too.

Do it yourself and save some money! Pick up an aftermarket fender at a local auto parts store and do the R&R yourself. You can even do the prep yourself and then get it colour matched and painted elsewhere. It's quite easy to remove the bolts. I think there are two bolts in the hinge area, and then five bolts running up top by the hood, and finally two bolts that bolt into the area by the bumper and side of the rad support. I think it may be easier if you remove your wheels and splash shields. Good luck!

See...here's my recommendation. Replacing a fender is not hard work at all. When I turned into a VW with my old Civic (long story, yet not my fault) the VW ripped my front bumper off, wrecked my driver fender, headlamps, hood, and frame behind driver headlamp. For 500 some odd dollars, I got all the parts I needed, matching color and all for the body parts. I had to bend some of the frame back straight and then just put everything back on. Check scrapyards for a Lumina with the same paint as yours and snag it. Paint discoloration shouldn't be that bad off. Heck, my Civic was an '89 and I did all that fixing in '00.