need some opinions

Rdrckt_92

I saw a car today on my way home from school that caught my eye. a 1994 Cutlass Convertable for sale. This was odd because all of the ones around are beat to shit. Anyway it is a teal green 1994 LQ1 with a black top and black leather and quad buckets, lip tails, and dual exhaust. Its not in perfect shape, some minor imperfections suchs as some paint flaking off of the spoiler, quarter size rust spot right above the rear bumper, some very small rust spots on the hood, about pea size. It has a few more serious issues that I saw, weather stripping around the rear windows is about shot, and the top has a rip in it with a patch job that looks like shit, but doesn't look like it will leak. I have no idea how many miles it has or the timing belt situation. The price is 2300 obo. What do u guys think, ya or nay.

doesnt sound too bad of a deal, as long as the engine is in good shape and all. the rear window weatherstrip is shot on most of these cars, but aside from aesthetics it doesnt hurt anything. take it for a test drive and see. if it runs good and everything seems to be complete that sounds like a good deal

yea, Im not a big fan of teal, but I like teal on cuttys. The only thing that bothers me is it is an LQ1 and I dont really know the condition. there is a teal 96 GP for sale in town that I might call about too. I found these cars when I was looking for a beater so I could work on my 92, so If I get the cutty, it will shift my focus off of the gp, and the GP will remain the daily "beater". soooo...

I'd only get it if you REALLY want a convertable, and bargain down the price. I hate rust, and bodywork is not cheap. Plus it's gonna have regular 13year old car problems..

I think I'm gonna leave this car alone, I havent seen it again so I dont really know if it' still for sale, and I really couldnt see myself driving a Teal Green Cutty Convertable. there is a white 94 Z34 with grey interior about 15 minutes away from my house I'm gonna look at. I've also seen a few 94-96 GP SE's for sale around here, ironically one being the same fuckin teal as the convertable. I dunno, I think I want something like a early 90's cavy Z24, or a beretta Z26 for a "Winter" car so I can take the GP off the road and get it ready for the engine swap and paint that is on schedule for next spring/summer.

thats the plan, lookin for one with the 3.1 5speed combo. Having some trouble finding any decent candidates around here, most are rusted through and beat to shit....so the search continues

thats the plan, lookin for one with the 3.1 5speed combo. Having some trouble finding any decent candidates around here, most are rusted through and beat to shit....so the search continues

IMO, a winter/beater car to me doesn't really have to meet any requirements except that it's decently reliable. Your just gonna be using it so you can park your good car, right? Then why try to find another decent car?

IMO, a winter/beater car to me doesn't really have to meet any requirements except that it's decently reliable. Your just gonna be using it so you can park your good car, right? Then why try to find another decent car?

my only real requirement is the 3.1, this is only because I have some knowledge of this engine because I have one now, other than that I just want it to look half way decent so I dont feel embarrassed driving it, I want it to be mechanically sound or easily be made that way, and not be rusted through, rust drives me fuckin nuts, the gp has a minor rust problem and it drives me up a damn wall seeing it, I can only imagine if I had a car that had big fuckin rust holes, I'd loose my mind

my only real requirement is the 3.1, this is only because I have some knowledge of this engine because I have one now, other than that I just want it to look half way decent so I dont feel embarrassed driving it, I want it to be mechanically sound or easily be made that way, and not be rusted through, rust drives me fuckin nuts, the gp has a minor rust problem and it drives me up a damn wall seeing it, I can only imagine if I had a car that had big fuckin rust holes, I'd loose my mind

Meh... to me, a beater is a beater. I wouldn't care what it looked like, as long as it got me around with minimal maintenance, thats all I would need.

Thats why I don't understand some people on here(well, one in particular, but not you rdrckt) that require like a $5000 winter/beater car. Doesn't make any sense at all! :willynilly:

Yea, aslong as the car is reliable, thats all that really matters, but around here most of the time if the car looks like like it has been taken car of cosmetically: paint is decent, no monstorous dents, little to no rust, then more then likely it has been taken care of mechanically too. this isnt always true, but most of the time it is. I know some people who's cars look like shit, rusty and generally shitty looking, and they run like shit and are always breaking down, I'm just trying to avoid this. but again like u said a beater is a beater. on another note, who would spend 5 grand on a winter car??? :eek:

I like Z34s and Z24s, but I'd only get them w/ 5-speed. I've driven Z24 5-speed and it was hella fun, never even seen 5-speed Z34s around here.

yea, thats why Im lookin for a Z24, there are a bunch of them , a lot of 5 speed cars around here. This guy at work has a friend that is selling his Z24 5speed for like a grand, I just have to get a number where I can talk to him, if the car is like he said, I'll get it.