speaker wiring help in a 91 GP?

AxlCrucifix

Hey guys, I was putting in some new speakers in my GP and i noticed that in the back, the wires arent as simple as positive and negative, they are different colors, and labelled A and B from what I could tell.

On the drivers side in the back there as a yellow and brown wire, and after quite a while of determining which setup of yellow and brown and positive and negative, I found that the yellow was most likely the positive, and i even got a voltage meter and tried to test it but didn't have much luck.

So I hook all of that up and screw it in and put the original cover back on and then move to the rear passenger side speaker and I find that there is a dark blue and light blue wire! Oh no! Yellow isn't positive anymore! I did that same thing, and decided that I thought the light blue was positive and wired it accordingly.

So, after the big story, before I attempt taking apart the door panels and dash to put new speakers in there, can anyone tell me what the wiring in the drivers side and passenger side and dash is like for a two-door?

I always cut the plug off the old OEM speaker, then solder it to my new speaker's connections. Don't ruin the factory wiring that way :wink:

yeah, but i cut off the plug with two inches or so or wire left on the plug so if i decide to ever use them again i can still use them

any help on the wiring tho? cause you seem to have a lot of the answers :razz:

Orange = 12v Constant/Battery

Yellow = 12v Switched/ACC

Black = Ground

Gray = dimmer ground

Brown = Parking lights

Tan = Left front +

Gray = Left front -

Lt. Green = Right front +

Dk. Green = Right front -

Brown = Left rear +

Yellow = Left rear -

Dk. Blue = Right rear +

Lt. Blue = Right rear -

There are some slight variation's depending on the years, and models, but otherwise this should work for you.

ah fuck arre you joking? for the back i wired them both the exact opposite

i dont hear much of a difference in sound tho, so hmmm

You may not have as much bass response when wired backwards. I recommend switching them back to what they should be. If this were a higher powered stereo, and not something off of an aftermarket deck, you would notice a difference immediately.