Knocking noise on 3.4

Jon Forston

First of all, thanks for the info on the dreaded 0-ring replacement. It worked great, and no need to lift off the head. Now I have a slight knocking noise. When you hear it the most is at 1500 RPM while in gear. (slight load on the motor.) Once in a while you hear it at idle, but not often. Once in a while you hear it at higher RPMs, but not often. It is consistent at 1500 RPM in gear. Could plugs, wires, cause this, or am I looking at some serious damage. Any help would be great.

Thanks again everyone, for all prior help.

Jon dcowboy@asapnet.net

If it's at a consistant RPM range, it sounds more internal with a lifter.

To help the situtation, change oil brand / type and add some Lucas Oil additive. Great stuff, should help with the noise.

It may be the injectors, but they click constantly at an idle as well... it's just a thought. Best of luck!

- RedFox340

I tried Lucas. Yes, I love the stuff too! It did not help at all. The only way I could kind of duplicate the noise, was by unplugging a spark plug wire. Although it is hard to tell if I am duplicating, or making things worse. It is very strange, that is why I am posting. Just curious if this is a 3.4 thing. By the way, I got that O-ring from the dealer for $2.29. It is biege in color and pretty thick. To make things easier, remove the steel htr hose, and exhaust crossover pipe right off the bat.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got a tip from my buddy who is a VW guru. He told me to check my torque converter bolts. Sure enough, they were loose. Centered them, cranked them, and sounds great again.