I just got BAD news!!

90TGPGirl

My TGP is in the shop right now...they just called to tell me that it needs a #2 fuel injector and upper plenum gasket. But they can't get those parts today. I really wanted my car for the weekend...is it okay to drive for now? I mean I can have it back to the shop after Memorial Day.

** Okay, just got another call from the mechanic...I am not too happy right now. They put in the new injector took it out for a spin, and now aparently the car is running worse than before. It was tuned up, trans flush, coolant flush and a 160 t-stat put in. NOW they say I must have a bad valve or cam because it's missing worse than before.

My bill is already about $600. I am NOT a happy camper!

**Just talked to my boss, he says that a bad valve or cam would have been aparent BEFORE the tune-up was done, not afterwards. And another thing, the entire engine was rebuilt 37,000 miles ago. What's wrong here??? Should I just go get the car and have someone else look at it????

**Oh my friggen god. They just called again with even worse news! The head is either cracked or the head gasket is shot. My luck sux!!!

I'd go pick it up and get it for a second opinion, without telling the new shop anything that happend in the first one.

Sounds like their just trying to suck some money out from you, whats the history before it went, what was it running like?

yeah, second opinion is a good call. I had a dealer try to srew me over for some tie rods, when nothing at all was wrong with the ones I had. I dont see a cam going out, maybe a valve sticking or really severe vacuum leak.

Robby

Well, they did say that the cams and valves were all fine. I've been taking all my cars to this mechainc for a while now. My 91 SE has been there numerous times with no problems.

The car was running pretty rough before I took it there. Real bad missses, funny smells from under the hood, bubbling noises in the rad hoses, and bad overall performance. I smelled coolant a lot while driving, but it didn't overheat. So, who knows. WHat I do know is...it's a damn good thing I just got a new Platinum Visa!!!

you said it was missing, could be crank sensor, Im just throwing out some more options for you to consider, however, I think something in the ignition is to blame. If you ARE NOT gettin spark, its either the crank sensor or ECM. If you are getting spark and it is sporadic then I would say coils

Robby

sounds like a coil pack. I did plugs and wires on my se and one set of wires was bad. One set of coils shorted out from the bad wires and made the car act almost exactly like how you describe.

(engine was rebuilt 37,000 miles ago.)

#2 fuel injector and upper plenum gasket.

bad valve or cam

The head is either cracked or the head gasket is shot

Ouch TGPGirl! :( Sorry to her about all the problems :(

Is this the purple TGP from Pleasanton, CA that was on eBay 02/13/03?

I only ask because there aren't many TGPs on the west coast and I remember seeing that

auction and wanting it. Pleasanton is only a one hour drive from where I live. But the last

thing I needed was another project car.

Sorry about all the TGP problems.

-- Kevin Heider

sorry to hear all the bad news 90TGPGirl!! i saw your car in ClubGP.com and really liked how it looked. however, these current problems are a sad read. i'm thinking a vacuum tube, or a seal. if you're burning coolant, that's definately not a good thing.

Guest Anonymous
If you are getting spark and it is sporadic then I would say coils

Robby

From what I've seen with my 3.1's the coils either work or they don't. The ignition module will work on and off though. My TGP needs one right now. Good thing I have a shelf full of them. :lol:

Yes this is the TGP from Pleasanton, CA. I had it shipped across the country because I've always wanted one. Yep, I'm crazy!

As for the way it was running when I first got it, I can't really say. It's sorta illegal to drive around with no front end. But I had it out once, just to drive around the neighborhood. The temp guage rose pretty quick and the car got very hot so I took it straight home. The low coolant light kept coming on. Then the car sat for a month until it went to the bodyshop. When it was all done, the car basically ran like crap still. But I was told that it was only because it needed a tune-up. When I was driving back to work, the day I got it back from the bodyshop, the low coolant light was still coming on and the temp guage quicky got up to 220 but didn't go past that. I smelt coolant as I was driving, but there was nothing leaking out. Then when I turned the engine off, I heard bubbling noises. When I opened the hood, it sounded like it was coming from upper rad hose where the thermostat is. SO...I don't know what these things could be symptoms of...but now my poor car is all taken apart. sniff sniff

First, make sure the injector they put in is really a TGP injector! I've heard of people not knowing there's a difference and putting in an injector from a regular 3.1. Then that cylinder runs lean and causes detonation problems in that cylinder.

With the coolant problems the car had before, it does sound like a cracked head gasket or head is a possibility. I would check compression and pressure test the cooling system to be sure.

Before the blown head gasket and/or cracked head diagnosis was made, the car had a coolant flush done and a 160 t-stat installed. They also checked the engine compression which was way off.

Will I need a new t-stat now? If so, I gotta get one from Jeff M again. He still hasn't gotten back to me about the X-over pipe yet so I may not be able to get one from him. Is there another source for t-stats??

You shouldn't need a new t-stat... I doubt a bad head gasket will kill a t-stat.

Engine compression way off is definitely a bad sign, very possibly a bad head gasket. It was probably the head gasket all along, and nothing wrong with the injector.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I don't feel nearly as bad as I did last week. Atleast this problem was caught early and hopefully prevented some REAL bad damage. I am hoping the it's just the gasket and not the heads themselves though.

Guest Anonymous

You've got to get one of these motors pretty hot to warp or crack a head. I've only ever seen one warped head on a 2.8 and that's because the tewmp. gage was maxed for like 10 min.

Yeah, they were giving me the worst case scenerio by saying that the head "may" be cracked or warped. They are checking them just to be sure. And they will smooth the edges or whatever it is they do before replacing the gasket.

Before the blown head gasket and/or cracked head diagnosis was made, the car had a coolant flush done and a 160 t-stat installed. They also checked the engine compression which was way off.

Will I need a new t-stat now? If so, I gotta get one from Jeff M again. He still hasn't gotten back to me about the X-over pipe yet so I may not be able to get one from him. Is there another source for t-stats??

Jeff M. is very busy..just give him some time :wink:

If shes smelling coolent but not seeing any coolent her car could have done like mine did and blew the head gasket on the rear side of the engine facing the fire wall.When i blew mine on that side my car run fine I just had to put water in all the time that would explain her car overheating and her radiator making a bubbling sound.As far as the car running worse after putting a new injector in i have to agree with Shawn either he put the wrong one in or he didnt put it in right in the first place.Hey if your going to havr to put new head gaskets on it while they have the heads off go ahead and do what i did get them shaved, ported,polished and get a good valve job done to it .It made a big difference on mine and the price of the machine work is not that bad its the labor you pay having them taking them off and putting them on that cost so much. :lol:

What is invlolved in doing a valve job? Do I need to specify that I want one or will they automatically do it since everything is apart?

you would have to tell them to do one. They will resurface the valves. Plus you can tell them to do a 3 or 5 angle valve job that will allow for best flow of the mixture into the head. They should know which angles will allow for best flow like 45-46-45 or something like that, or they can test stuff on a flow bench

Robby