New W-Body Owner (Again)

Bizzo

Hey guys,

Just picked up another wbody haven't owned one in about 2 years, had two lumina's a '92 euro and a '91 base. Got a '92 Buick Regal w/ a 3.8L and 116k on it for $850. Needs a few things that I know of, valve cover gasket in the front, new pads and rotors in the front, hood release cable assembly is broke, and the power lock switches don't work, also there's a clunking noise in the rear suspension I haven't narrowed down yet, the pucks on the monoleaf spring look in good condition so I know it's not those. I tried to upload some pics for your viewing pleasure but I got an error msg saying that the upload folder is full. Any tips, comments, or suggestions on things to do to get this car is tip top shape is appreciated.

Matt

It is a 4 door Regal Custom. Yeah I think I got a decent deal, it does have a little rust and a scratch down the driver's side from the previous owner, but it seems like a solid running car.

X3 on the rear strut mount. Wanna see what happens when you keep driving around with a worn-out mount?

strut1.jpg

mount.jpg

dsstrut.jpg

And hey, double thumbs up :thumb: :thumb: for there being another "first gen" Regal owner on the board!

I'll get the pics up tonight just gotta find a place to host them right quick. As far as options it has power everything(mirrors, windows, locks, driver's seat). It has the dual climate control, not sure if the ac works, don't have it on the road yet. It's gonna need a valve cover gasket for the front it's leaking bad. Any tips on changing that out? I just did a front brake job the rotors were shot from the car sitting awhile and one of the calipers was seized up pretty good. Other than that everything is in solid condition. There's a clunking noise coming from the rear when i go over bumps as mentioned earlier. I was told this is probably the rear strut mounts, anyway to check this out? Also can I change them without changing the struts? I'd like to change the struts but I don't have access to the tools necessary or a garage and I don't have the money to pay for the labor at the garage right now. If anyone in the area wants to lend a hand let me know :smile: Ok this has been a long enough post might as well post the pics:

ATT00013.jpg

ATT00010.jpg

ATT00007.jpg

ATT00004.jpg

ATT00001.jpg

As you can see in my pics, the nut on the end of the strut shaft was rusted solid, so chances are if your mount is shot, the strut probably needs to go as well. You're going to need to remove the strut anyway, so you might as well bite the bullet and get the struts while you're at it.

The front VC gasket on the 3800 is cake to replace. Just remove the bolts and pop the cover off. There aren't any obstructions on the front side of the engine, so you should be able to change it rather quickly. The rear cover on the other hand looks to be a total pain to get to (I changed my front VC gasket out, but have been too lazy to change the rear one out, 'cause it'll probably take the better part of a day to get all the shit surrounding it out of the way...)

Sweet thanks for the advice on the gasket it looked pretty straight forward I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any hidden things that needed to be dealt with. Kinda sucks about the struts hoep I can find a garage to do it for a decent price since i don't have access to the tools or a garage. :sad: It's not the cleanest w-body i've owned but i think it will serve me well till I get some cash saved for a nicer car. Thinking maybe a newer supercharged regal or something similiar.