DOHC Horsepower

Redfox340

Has anyone ever (recently or whenever) dynoed their DOHC lately?

What were the numbers? And with modifications?

I'm curious since I just recieved a G-Tech meter and was going to make a couple runs tonight...

Thanks!

- RedFox340

Well... my car is out-of-date and out-of-shape according to the G-Tech.

After two solid runs I mustered a full 141 horsepower. That sucks... I know.

* Tempreture: 75 degrees

* Altitude: 5300 feet

* Mileage: 174,600 miles

* Modifications: K&N drop-in filter

- RedFox340

well does the G-tech tak in to account altitude? Cuz if not, that would explain your low reading. Also, does it mean HP at the wheels or crank?

Robby

well does the G-tech tak in to account altitude? Cuz if not, that would explain your low reading. Also, does it mean HP at the wheels or crank?

No, altitude doesn't make a difference for the reading. It uses numerical integration of acceleration over a period of time when you hit the gas. It's quite a cool little toy.

The maximum horsepower is shown after the run and that's what you're putting down to the pavement (aka: wheel HP). Now, you'll get different readings due to head or tail winds so with that in mind, I wanted to test on a clear night... which I did. However these are my first two runs ever with this thing, and I want to make more concise measurements, since set-up is crutial part of this tool's accuracy. I'm still reading the owners manual to learn the other functions...

- RedFox340

I know on the old gm cars the hp rating was at the engine not what hp made it to the pavement but I thought on all the late 80s and new cars they were rated at the wheels.I was going to check my little 2.8 but im afraid i wont get a hp rate just a light flashing briggs and stratten. :roll:

I know on the old gm cars the hp rating was at the engine not what hp made it to the pavement but I thought on all the late 80s and new cars they were rated at the wheels.I was going to check my little 2.8 but im afraid i wont get a hp rate just a light flashing briggs and stratten. :roll:

Briggs and Stratton...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, GM cars still measure the power at the crank, not the wheels

Robby

I posted a reply on efi about this. I had 179.3 hp at the wheels with intake and exhaust. You're down on power because of altitude. The G-Tech does not account for altitude- every dyno gives altitude and temp corrected numbers.

Tim

You're down on power because of altitude. The G-Tech does not account for altitude- every dyno gives altitude and temp corrected numbers.

But with correct weight input and a clean solid run, shouldn't it be the same or close to a real dyno? A dyno, like the G-Tech measure what you're slapping to the pavement in power, correct? If altitude was a conturbuting factor on computing such numbers, would you think it would be explained on the company's website? Just trying to think this out...

- RedFox340