Complete Interior Swap. Is it possible?

Q-Ball

Well, I'm in the middle of swapping my interior. I found a 96 GTP that I want everything from. Is this even realistic to do? I have the basic stuff like Center console, head liner, door panels, rear panels, back rear deck, 3rd brake light cover. All thats left I need is the complete dash and carpet. I know the dash will be a pain in the ass. But what am I gonna need for this? I really wish I could just buy it, but they wont let me.

Thanks.

88-93 interior > 94-96

Are you nuts? The 94-96 looks so much more modern! I feel in love with the cup holders on the doors. :biggrin:

Watch who your calling nuts... YOUR the one turning a 92 GP into a 94-96 GP! lol

Jamie

88-93 interior > 94-96

Are you nuts? The 94-96 looks so much more modern! I feel in love with the cup holders on the doors. :biggrin:

Watch who your calling nuts... YOUR the one turning a 92 GP into a 94-96 GP! lol

Jamie

Thats right! Not only will it be a 94-96, but a 92 for insurrance purposes :biggrin:

I think the mounts for the dash are different and will probably require some modification... possibly metal work involved. I know there's a few other people on this board who've done it... in fact, I think there was even one guy who put a newer gen regal GS interior into his Z34.

Yeah, the dash stuff is going to be the hardest. Pretty sure it's been done.

x2.

Edit: Brian 89 Gp's website got hacked...

I can post some pics later tonight.

Wow, I dont want too much work. Anyone want to make some money?

If it's something you really want to do, don't give up that easy. Take apart yours and dash on the 96 and see for yourself how difficult it would be.

pm stockgp! he put a 97 CS dash into his.. 90? gp same basic concept, and I think he did a thread....

do you plan on putting in the saginaw round column?

I think stockgp should have done one other thing and change the support that holds the column.... he drilled and tapped his.

carefully dismantle the entire dash in the j/y car, first. grab everything.

and a good tip, you do not need the hvac box/unit, it is the same, except, you may find bolt on exterior clips, which use the same bosses as the old.

start with dismantling the 94-96 dash dismantling first.

I think stockgp should have done one other thing and change the support that holds the column.... he drilled and tapped his.

lookie here, ken. i reused the old column support plate and drilled and tapped it so i had the option of doin a 5 speed swap. :smile24: if you're not interested in a 5 speed swap, you should definitely use the 94+ column support plate

with that said, everyone has pretty much said what you need to do. i can help somewhat if you have any questions

You've spend so much money into your car you could have just bought mine for $3500 and got it repainted painted. :willynilly:

Too bad can't go back in time...

FWIW, I love the old school dash, and that old digital cluster looks tits in there!! Owning both cars (88 GP SE loaded) and a 95 GP (basically loaded), I do like the 95 a bit better, but I miss driving the 88 at night with the cool glowing gadgets. The 95 is "boring". I really don't want anymore "90s" interior ever again, either retro or newer looking like 04+ GP.

lookie here, ken. i reused the old column support plate and drilled and tapped it so i had the option of doin a 5 speed swap. :smile24: if you're not interested in a 5 speed swap, you should definitely use the 94+ column support plate

good point! you are correct, the saginaw column bracket doesn't have the clutch pedal bracket, critical if you want of have the 5 speed. Our french-candian member RedGTP fabbed up a bracket on his gtp, though!

Oh how I would love to do it. But what scares me is all the wiring. Another thing is, I only have 2 days off a week, and I do need my car cause I work outside my city. :(

Stop the bitchin! lol I drove to school with no interior/dash or gauges and one seat for a week and a half.

• 2 months later...

hahaha, hear that Jason? a little wiring! More wiring... word of advice... get the doors working first!! Baby Steps

Jamie

I need to get a drivers side door lock someday... haha. I just might switch it all over to 95-96 locks. Maybe windows too. It would be easier on the 96 wiring harness's I got.

If anything I would swap the dash out for a late model regal dash. They are IMO the least cheap looking. Dash swaps are simple. Its going to be a PITA because all of the windsheild controls are on the dash rather then in the colum on the GP. The swap would be wasy as pie just time consumeing.