Money on Maintenance - how much have you spend on your car?

THe_DeTAiL3R

How much have you dumped into your car so far (if you are keeping track)?

Considering I've had my 89 Cutlass over 12-1/2 yrs (got it in March '94), I probably haven't kept track too accurately.

As far as mandatory things, here's all I remember (and costs are guestimates):

- Head gaskets (including new intake manifold gasket kit) $200

- Power steering pump $60

- Water pump $18

- 2x Coils $50

- 2x dog bone mounts $30

- Hydraulic motor mount $40

- Oil pressure sensor $15

- 3x batteries $80 (prorated warranty twice)

- 6x Front brake pads $35 (lifetime warranty, got them replaced free 5x)

- Rear calipers $60

- Rear struts $100

- Inner tierod $30

- ECM $75

- Fuel injector $45

- Thermostat $5

- Radiator hose $10

- 6x Alternators $60 (lifetime warranty, 5x free under warranty)

- Heater pipe $40

Grand Total $953.

Number of months owned 151

Unscheduled average maintennance cost per month $6.31.

I think excluding mods which were purely optional, that's all the mandatory stuff I've done to the car. I haven't counted oil changes and such because that's been done too many times and I didn't keep track. Any other car would have cost the same for that anyway.

94 convertible I have had since September '02.

- Fel Pro LIM gasket kit $60

- Thermostat $5

- 2x front brake pads $35 (lifetime warranty on 2nd set)

- Alternator $90

- AC compressor $135

- Power steering pressure line $15

Grand Total $340

Number of months owned 49

Unscheduled average maintennance cost per month $6.94.

I personally find these cars exceptionally cheap to own and operate, so long as you supply your own labor!

Also, who says the 3.4 DOHC is unreliable? It hasn't really cost me much more in unscheduled maintennance cost than the 2.8L. If it weren't for the AC compressor, the 3.4 DOHC would have been surprisingly cheap to own!

Is there a line to draw, when it's time you decide to get a newer car?

When you get sick of it and it no longer matters to you how much cheaper it is to keep your current car.

Where do i begin?

I do regular oil changes ofcourse.

Not 1 but 2 driver axle shaftsore oil then

NOw gaskets for lower intake.

More oil then nesisary now (leaking from lower intake).

Front brakes front new rims (caliper bolt broke so caliper grinded on inner rim[both sides in opposite directions])

1 Passenger side axle shaft.

(Dont do drop nuetrals!!!!)

A driver door window

New front bolts that hold front end on (dont know the name of them) theres four of them.

New turn signal switch

All sorts of fuses.

Lights

I got the car for free, but then again "free" had it's reasons. I spent an entire summer fixing little broken things. Probably the most money i've spent were probably on little dealership parts like knobs and such that I couldn't get anywhere else. Next to that, probably chemicals (oil, polish, grease, carpet cleaner, etc.) and the least was probably spent on actual parts (gaskets, plugs, filters, what have you).

On the Z34, I don't even want to try to count up how much money I spent on that. Probably well over $5000. And, as much as I didn't want to, probably gonna hit $2000 here soon on the Acura.

Unscheduled average maintennance cost per month $6.31.

Unscheduled average maintennance cost per month $6.94.

Interesting way of calculating it overthe long run... don't think that would help mine look any easier...

Mine works out to $141.67 a month ($0.20 an hour!) on maintenance so far... But I make more than that in a week, so its not a big deal!

Jamie

i've spent most in mods......Repairs and maint. have been.....

Head gaskets and everything else that goes along w/ that.

Plugs

Wires

Tranny fluid and filter twice

Struts

Brakes

that is it.

my z34 has been extremely affordable to own, i've had it since 12/31/03, got it at around 98,800 and it has just under 160,000 as of now

Alternator - Free, already had it

sprak plug wires - $50

IAC - Free, already had a spare

Intake gaskets $35

the regular oil leak - no $$ but lots of time

plugs $12

front rotors and pads once so far ~$60ish

more sets of rear brakes then i want to admit to

struts - $375ish for all

inner/outer tie rods and ends $115

alignment $40

new wheels + tires $200

trans filter/fluid change

i know theres more little things, and optional stuff, but i can't complain with how good to me this car has been, hands down the most relyable car i've ever owned.

To date I've replaced:

Alternator

Rear struts

Monoleaf pads

Recent tune up costs me quite a bit in parts

Right away I need to replace/repair:

Brakes

Tires (winter tires, and then new summer tires in the spring)

Possible front end work (something is popping/creaking all summer)

Front struts maybe

All in all I bitch about it a lot..but it hasn't costed me much to own comapred to osme of you guys...maybe I should unload it before something catastrophic happens lol

Dear god I hoped this would never come up

Ordered Latest Fix to First Fix: Car Purchased in late 2003 (December 12, 03)

New Sway Bar Mounts $62 (did the labour myself)

Rotate Tires: $30

Exhaust: $470

brake pads: $50

Power Steering Hose: $75

Water Pump + Misc Vacuum lines $318

Tranny oil change $100

Tires: $511

P/N Safety Switch + Air Intake Tube :$165

Alignment: $60

Front Wheel Bearing + Pads: $337

Ball Joint: $192

Fuel Pressure Regulator: $257

Oil Pan Heater $80

Diagnose Fuel pressure regulator @ stealership: $90

New front rotors + tow: $236

Replace IAC: $150

Fixing my heat + Tensioner + EGR Gaskets + Inspection of plugs wires & grounds: $600

New ECM + Fuel Pump/Strainer + New Starter + ICM + Intake Manifold Gaskets Spark plug hole gaskets $1184

Replace Engine With Rebuild: $4185 with labour

No Start (frozen) $120

Complete tuneup: $378

______________________________________________________________________________________________

$9650 + change + $2100 (Price of the Vehicle)

As well I did not include a single oil change nor did i include the cost of the majority of the towes I needed when the car was dead

Some say I am stupid, I just love my oldsmobile

Lets see..

'95 Lumina - Purchased 8/11/2005 for $150.00 and since then I have spent the following on it since then:

$0.00 for a new transmission (friend gave it to me, I installed it)

$40.00 for a used set of 205/65/15 tires

$15.00 for new spark plugs

$16.00 for a new fuel filter

$50.00 in oil/filter changes

-$1000.00 (I got rearended in it in the springtime, they paid me just over $1000.00 for damages, and 90% of it is cosmetic. I kept the money and left it the way it is)

Total Invested: -$729.00 :lol:

1995 Monte Carlo Z34... Paid $60.00 (Yes, $60.00) for it around 10/15/2005. Since then.. I've spent $0 on it, and probably won't spend anything on it. 3.4DOHC FTL.

Total Invested: $60.00

1997 Lumina LTZ... Paid $300.00 for it on eBay on 2/11/2006. Since then I have spent too much money on this thing. Wanna give up on it but I'm too far in the pit, and can't sell it for what I have into it. :(

$86.00 - Lower intake gasket set

$25.00 - Water Pump

$14.00 - Coolant Temp Sensor

$25.00 - Coolant after flush

$36.00 - Oil/filter changes

$18.00 - Low resolution crank sensor

$107.00 - Mass air flow sensor

$108.00 - Fuel tank

$107.00 - Fuel pump

$200.00 - Transmission valve body (SES Code: P1870) repair

$100.00 - Passenger Side Wheelbearing/hub assembly

$100.00 - Black/chrome clear eBay headlights (car was in an accident that ruined the drivers side headlight)

Total invested: $1226.00 and I still want to repaint it and replace two doors (which I have), and fix the front bumper. :willynilly:

Ack. :willynilly:

Okay I have to do this by memory..this is JUST repairs because if I were to list mods it would take a day or two

Tune up: plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, miscellenous - $150

New trans fluid, filter, cleaned pan - $60

Coolant flush x2 - $75

Ball Joint - $25.00

Alternator - $130

Optima Yellow Top - $200

Total: $640.00

Owned since March of 2005

Let's see now. I bought the 93 Cutlass about 2001 for $5000 US when it had 66K miles on it. I then paid about $300 to get plugs and wires done on it. Next job was LIM gasket, had to get rid of that stock plastic piece of shit from the factory. I think a Fel-Pro gasket kit cost me around 45 bucks. Did the work myself. Ran great for about a year then at 78K blew the timing belt. Since I did not have the tools or time, I paid $500 to get that done. No further problems for 2 years, then Turn signal switch went, had to pay another 150 bucks for that in order to pass PA inspection. Had to get brakes sometime around then, so I bought the pre-loaded calipers for about 80 bucks for the rears and 25 dollar pads for the front. Plus one rear rotor for another 20 bucks. Also got 4 new tires for somewhere around 250 bucks. Drove her out to Chicago, down to St. Louis in 2004, on the way back to PA drove thru a massive T-storm in Indiana which somehow blew a diode in my alternator, but it was ok enough to get home (Thank God!). Pulled the old alternator and got it rebuilt for 85 bucks with heavy duty components. Also around then the starter crapped out, pulled that and got it rebuilt also for about 85 bucks.

Then this past Spring I had a new canvas top put on and a minor leather seat repair done for a total cost of 1250 dollars.

That's about it to this point with 148K miles on the clock. And she still runs like a raped ape.

So the total cost would be around $2900 US for maintenance if you toss in the oil changes and filters ever 3-5K miles.

Next Spring it will be struts all around and possibly a nice paint job. I intend to keep this ragtop forever as it is absolutely the nicest vehicle I've ever owned.

Then I'll be buried in it with a case of Lager in case I get thirsty. :lol:

My wife bought the car in July of 2003. We have put approx. $3000.00 in the car. she only paid $2000.00 for the car and we have put ~ 40,000 miles on it. This includes tires, alternator, tensioner, starter, struts, egr valve, new ignition clyinder[pass key], and various other parts. In all not too bad for a 12 yr old car IMO. Keeping in mind that all of the parts were either installed or came from the dealership (GM discount is pretty good)

BTW that includes $800.00 for a bad EGR valve that a dealer replaced, when come to find out the dealer I take it to now would have only charged $525.00 for the same job. (That will piss you off every time)