Money on Maintenance - how much have you spend on your car?

THe_DeTAiL3R

So I was having a talk with my fiance about buying a newer car vs keeping and driving my 95. Told her it's a money pit (compared to my old car anyways), and I talked about how cars depreciate alot in value (this would apply mostly to newer cars). But in spite of my useless rambling, she made a very valid point- CARS ARE AN EXPENSE, NOT AN INVESTMENT (Well normal daily drivers anyways). You LOSE regardless!

When I bought my car for $2000 I knew I needed some stuff replaced on it in order to pass safety and before I could drive it. I've got a long list I woun't bother listing, because I knew basically how much it would cost.

What's been pissing me off lately (last few months to a year) has been how much shit has been braking on my car. Considering it's not a rust bucket, I thought it was gonna be a BETTER car than my 88 GP and I wouldn't have to spend much to keep it running good.

In the last year:

-LIM gaskets

-Gas tank+filler neck

-heatercore

..plus other stuff I forgot.

I figure I've spend in the neighborhood of $2000-2500 on repairs (this in including the cost of repairs for the initial safety when I bought the car).

still needs:

-Struts all around, and possible other parts (out of alignment)

-Radiator (I'm 85% sure anyways, it runs hotter than I think it should)

-TRANSMISSION is a ticking time bomb, it's just a matter of time before it take a big shit on me.

-new tires

So I'm looking at least $3500 in upcoming future repairs... how discouraging.

I've had the car for 2 years now, and do mostly city driving which is hard on the car.

Sorry for the long post...

I'm kinda at a crossroad right now. Getting married next year, so buying a new car (ie 5years old or newer) which would be alot of money, or continue to fix my car (which would be cheaper no matter what.) I'm just pissed at my car right now cause of the repairs it needs, however I'm sure putting payments on a new car woun't make me feel any better :lol:. I am able to fix most things myself (I did the LIM gaskets and heatercore...) so I'm able to save some money that way (plus I get discount on parts).

So anyways, my question to everybody:

How much have you dumped into your car so far (if you are keeping track)?

Is there a line to draw, when it's time you decide to get a newer car?

Well if you count when I had to have the cradle and all that replaced, Im saying in upwards of of about $2,000. ( in which the cradle and all that was the most of it ) the other stuff was just struts, tools, gaskets.

We bought the car for $2750 off ebay.

Put plugs, wires, fuel filter, and o2 sensor in as soon as we got it $350

Alternator $300

Had to get new plugs, wires, and coils because they melted together, causing a major missfire $250

New tranny, clutch, pressure plate, and t/o bearing, installed by a Chevy dealer :leaving:, $2600

2.5inch Magnaflow exhaust $540

Ben's chip $125

Intake & numerous filters $125

FFP Motormount $75

ICW 16inch Wheels $440

Total, not counting car...$4,805(if i can count, damn Alabama education)

Total with car...$7,555(again, i think)

Got the car last March.

Kyle

89 GS. Purchased May 2004 for 2500$. Overheated it and cracked the heads July 2004. 450$ in parts Nothing since then, other then oil changes, and a trans fluid change.

92 CS Purchased March 2006 for 500$. 292$ for a new Differential, Diff housing, fluid, filter, engine oil, oil filter and 6 spark plugs. Nothing since then either.

EDIT: Oh yea, 4 Rims and tires for 215$. Didn't really need them, but bought them cause i got a good deal on them.

Alright, I'll bite.

Bought the car in May? of 2004 for $860 of ebay in Iowa. Theses are in no particular order

New transmission and one front wheel hub - $1300

New tires - $300

Turn signal switch - $90 (parts)

Fuel pump - $70 (parts)

New front rotors and pads - $50

94+ rear brakes - $100 (I call this maintenence b/c the old calipers were frozen up)

Plugs and wires - $40

Tranny fluid and filter (before it exploded) - $40

Oil changes, 4 a year , $12/change = $120

New battery - $50

New coolant - $14

That's all the maintence I can think of. I did all the work except the transmission. Soon to come new P/S lines and pump (I have a spare).

New tranny, clutch, pressure plate, and t/o bearing, installed by a Chevy dealer :leaving:, $2600

You got the tranny replaced damn!

I really don't want to go into details but shit over all my W's probably close to 10gs.

i have had my car for a little over 2.5 years and i would say that for all the stuff i have put into it it has cost me probably just about $1000 on top of what warranty covered. warranty covered UIM LIM and headgasket replacement all in one shot. this includes regular maintenance as well, if i dont have the time do do something i take it out to my uncles shop. i figure a thousand in upkeep isnt bad def more than i would like to have paid on top of carpayments of 440 a month since april of 04

OK... I'm gonna make you feel better about your car!

I've owned my 95 for ONE year (almost to the day)

Car - $5200 after taxes and licensing (I know, too much to start with, had I known then what I know now about these cars I wouldn't of paid that much, lesson learned)

Brakes all around - $600 (around, not 100% sure on actual cost)

blown heater hose - $350 (again an est. number)

recent gasket job - $250 (parts) $500 (labour) = $750

Total not including car $1700ish

Including car $6900

Mods done to the car

Subs - $200

Amp - $100 (? I think it was $100... I bought it off you dave)

Interior mods - Painting $150-200 (guess) Rear Bucket seats $75 (? again, can't remember, but got them off you) Oznium Cold cathodes - $35

T-stat - $15

Mod Total to date - $625

Add to that I've done 4 oil changes with Royal purple at an average cost of $75 thats another $300

Total Spent on MY money pit so far.... $7825 (+$3500 for last years insurance)

Future mods....

Paint - $5000 range

Engine swap - $4000 (buying a new crate engine) Turbo kit from CT $3500

Suspension - Coil overs all around probably in the $1200 range

Total Future mods - $13700

Total by the time I'm done..... $21,500+ will I ever get that back? Hell no! Will it be fun?? HELL YES!!!

Now, before you all go off the deepend saying "Your spending HOW much on a W-body??" Think of this.....

1. Back in the early '70s when you could by a Chevy II Nova for $5000 NEW, do you think any of the people buying them EVER thought there would be a bunch of guys dropping $50G into one? absolutely not!

2. I love going to car shows and talking to guys in their 50s and 60s that can say "I bought this car when I was 20 years old"... I want to be one of those guys 20 years from now... the car of that generation, could just be a Grand Prix... who knows 30 years from now I could be getting laughed at (much like you might be doing right now) but hey... then I can fall back on the 71 Nova and/or 77 Vega I'll be getting (dunno which I'll get, they aren't drafted into the old mans will yet)

I don't regret spending the money I have on my car, had I spent the same money on the van I used to drive, then I probably would of admitted myself to the local psych hospital. I love my car, as much as the gf hates it.

Granted within the next 2, 3 or maybe 4 years it will no longer be my daily driver, it will still be my baby, and THAT is how I justify the money I have spent on my car...

BTW dave... you want a money pit? go buy a 1993 Mazda MX6... 3 years from now you will cry for your GP back! lol

Jamie

Sorry for the long post!

$350 on a blown heater hose?????? DAMN!!!!

It must be a PITA job to do on an LQ1 or something, cause all I would need is the hose (like $3.50 LOL) and 10min. This is assuming it's coming out of the firewall into the engine...

Well I'm feeling much better about how much other people are spending on their cars.. lol

$350 on a blown heater hose?????? DAMN!!!!

It must be a PITA job to do on an LQ1 or something, cause all I would need is the hose (like $3.50 LOL) and 10min. This is assuming it's coming out of the firewall into the engine...

Well I'm feeling much better about how much other people are spending on their cars.. lol

The hose in question... $85

its a metal and rubber hose or some damn thing, I dunno... the place I had the work done was told there were only 3 of these hoses left in GMs stock... (I double checked and it was accurate)

Jamie

I purchased my gp on August 25, 2005 for I think 1400. Water pump went out first, that was about $100, fuel pump went out, about $120, New plugs wires cps and pcv installed was about $200 I think, 4-5 oil changes with one on the way about $50, new flowmaster mufflers to replace the shitty rusted stockers, about $250. bulbs, blinker relays, and various other shit, 20$. A new HU to replace the old busted ass one, $250. New Tires to replace the COMPLETELY BALD ones, $400. Various soaps, paints, cleaners to make it presentable, conservative estimate is $200. new brake pads, and have the rotors turned at all corners, about $250. this makes an approximate grand total of about $1800 w/o the price of the car. This doesnt take into account the shit that is coming down the road such as: new struts all round, new wheels w/ tires, new paint, engine/trans swap, tint, and a few others I cant think of it could go forever, but Like GTP_Munkey, I love my car, will probably keep it till I die, and can justify throwing money at it.

Well other than 2 trannys, 1 for $1,000. then a second for $700 which i didn't f'ing need

Rear brakes

continuous Rear stuts

continous front brakes

2 alignments

Drivers side axle

Timing Chain set and Gaskets

Lower Motor Mount

2 upper dogbones

New Front Clip/hood/fender/grille/radiator/head lights/bumper

2 waterpumps

Alternator

Battery

Lower ball Joints

Oil Pan Gasket

Coils

Exhaust. DP back w/ catalytic converter and magnaflows

Still needs:

Turn signal switch

Tranny cooler installed

Trip odometer fixed

Don't even want to think about what i have spent......

You got the tranny replaced damn!

I really don't want to go into details but shit over all my W's probably close to 10gs.

ditto for me...not including the car my #s are still fairly close to that now, and ive owen it for under a year(including everything) as for repairs, really its been good, front brakes, front rotors and stuff, but i got new rotors off the 90 i parted out.

'90 TGP - owned since January 2004, besides regular oil & other fluid changes, I've replaced the following:

-ABS accumulator - $100

-TB coolant bypass(did it at the same time as accum.) - $3.50

-Set of 6 Ford Racing fuel injectors - ~$200

-New injector o-rings + upper intake gasket set - $20

-New set of spark plugs - $12

& I've spent about $150 total in mods(1.6 rockers + enlarging the catback's exhaust diameter).

'93 SE - owned since 1999

Too many parts to list(nothing really major though) for about a grand total of $3500. Most of that was from pre-2002 before I worked on my own car. A little over 250K on the '93 and it's running great. :cool:

'01 GTP - purchased new in '01

-nothing spent other than for regular maintenance stuff(oil changes, sc oil change, etc.). 46K on it currently.

I think the reason why we tend to spend so much on our cars is in some cases the previous owners of the car dont really do any routine or preventative maintenance. Like on my car, I think the previous owner only had the oil changed, I hope every 3000 miles, and fixed or preplaced things as they failed. When my car started to run a little rough last month, I was checking things and looked at the plug wires and saw that they were original, this was at 125,000 miles, and when the fuel pump died, it was because the fuel filter was completely clogged, sooo no one ever did a tune up....bastards....

Alright, I guess I'll bite too. With both of my W's.

I purchased my '96 Cutty Supreme in April of 2002 for $7000. (Ouch!)

Over the lifetime of the car I put into it:

Gas Tank - $250

Water Pump - $100

Tires/Brakes - $800

Oil - $300 ($25/change and 4 a year)

I think thats about it for that car. Mind you this was my commuter car and I put A LOT of miles on it over it's lifetime. I'm thinking about 20k/year. So I don't think I did too awful bad with it. I also got rid of it in March of 2005

Now, my '01 GPGT. Purchased that in April of 2005.

So far I have put into it:

Brakes: $250 - Did all 4.

Inside: Blower Motor Resistor @ $28

Otherwise...thats it thus far, aside from Oil which I won't count yet b/c I'm a bit more anal with this car than my old one. As long as my old one was running I really didn't care...lol

But it's true...a car is an expense no matter which way you flip it.