Convertible done!! needs to pass inspection,

Pabz

Hey guys,

I got the cutty vert running on 96 suspension and breaks with intrax and coilovers with a new black interior. I loooove it.

I need to find a way to rig up the lights so they turn on with when the ignition is turned on. This is just for 1 day as i need to pass inspection. I dont want to get the drl module installed cause i have HID's that i will be putting in. So anybody know if i can just splice a wire and get the lights to turn on?

since he car is american you DO NOT nned it for inspection as long as the car is of the 1990 model year or prior, as the DRL was not a mandatory feature for automobiles in Canada prior to the 1991 model year

I wouldn't try run 12v from the ignition to the light switch. I would try and locate a fuse that controls the lights, then just run a wire from a 12v switched source to the "dead" terminal in the fuse box. Then just leave the light switch on and the lights will go on and off with the ignition. Hell, i know of so many cars out here that have passed safety inspections (Only done when the vehicle transfers ownership to someone who is not a family member) with non functioning DRL's, and IIRC, Manitoba is the hard ass when it comes to the inspections.

here's what happens with drl. the low beam are supposed to light with reduced intensity.

but also the regular headlights and running lights are supposed to turn on in the dark.

I do not know if you only need the basic daytime only lights to work, but...... here's how to do it:

I traced my wiring diagram and here's what I have determined.

you can splice into the wires that come from the dimmer switch and go to the headlightsm as the best palce to tap.

the colors of the four wires going/coming from the switch are:

yellow = hot

yellow/black = hot for FTP only.

tan = low beam positive feed.

light green/white = hi beam postive feed.

and the switch is located at the base of the column, of course.

ALL you have to do it splice into the tan wire with a wire you can temporarily rig to a hot source.... low beam headlights will light, and nothing else. You could even install a toggle switch and permanantly attach the other end of the wire to a permanant switchable ground.

cool?

the other idea is good too..... the lhealdight have a 20 amp circuit breaker located in the component center

component center is located on the passenger side, near the blower motor, at the bottom of the dash.

should be the second circuit breaker from the right.

thanks for the replies guys

got it :biggrin:

right at the light switch

peeled yellow and pink/black and shorted them, got DRL's

pink is a lower gage wire, so intensity is reduced, Are only the lights suppose to turn on or the tails too? Cause to get the tails to turn on i have to push in the switch 1 click.

that car had drl? damn. i def can't see that as mandatory in an older car like that. i hate them alltogether. i always told myself if i bought a car equipped with them i'd pull the fuse as quickly as i took the dealer badge off the rear