Alpine Type-R 10" subwoofer

97loudcut

I got offered an Alpine Type-R 10" subwoofer for $50.

1.) How are these subs as far as sound quality?

2.) Is this a good deal?

3.) They are like 500 RMS and 1500 watt peak, what would be a good amp (not to much $) to power it?

4.) Ported or Sealed?

I am going for good clean sound, but with some punch. When it comes down to it I want quality sound before loudness.

Have Ryan at http://www.basstronics.net make you a box. Tell him that you're most interested in SQ, but would like to crank out a decent db when you want to. He'll make you up a nice box.

BTW, is that sub Dual 4 or Dual 2 ohm voicecoils?

For an amp, i definately wouldn't shop in a retail store. Find one you like thats in a retail store, then hit up ebay.

I'd check out the RF Punch line. Can be had for good prices on ebay, and Fosgate ALWAYS underrates there almplifiers.

there is a couple paint chips on the sub, but nothing too extreme. here is a picture of it:

pic00002_126.jpg

though the exterior may not be perfect, it performs AWESOME. the thing pounds louder than my cousins system with 2 pioneer 12"s. when i had it i had it running with an alpine 300W rms class D monoblock amp. PM 99eclipsers he had it in his car for a while too(i sold it to him and bought it back) and he can attest that this thing still performs awesome!

i still have the original box for it, so if you aren't local i can ship it out if you would like.

This is some info I just recieved from him.

Chris gave me some more questions to ask him so I will post those too.

This is his for sale ad.

Hey guys, I'm selling a used Alpine Type R 10" Dual Voice Coil subwoofer, 300W RMS and 1000W Peak. Sold it to 99eclipsers a couple months ago, then bought it back from him and I got another deal on another subwoofer. All in all its been used for about 6 months with a proper break in. Here are some specs:

* Peak Power 1000W

* 300W RMS

* Frequency Response: 24Hz - 2kHz

* High-excursion 1" Santoprene® Edge

* Kevlar Reinforced Pulp Cone

* Dual Progressive Nomex® Spiders with Edge Control

* Integrated Tinsel Lead Spider Design

* Custom Cast Aluminium Frame with Integrated Heat Transfer Plate

* Extended Length Dual-Flared Vented Pole Design

* High-Strength Brass Voice Coil Bobbin

* Heavy-Duty 8ga. Push Terminals

* Computer Optimised Magnetic Circuit

* Designed and Engineered in the USA

pic00002_126_934.jpg

It DOES NOT come with a box. Selling it for $50.00 picked up.

Okay I got a couple questions for you since it was obviously used.

1.) How much playing time is on it?

2.) Was it in a sealed or ported box?

3.) What was the power running to it (in RMS)?

4.) What Ohm was it running at?

I am in Auburn Hills, Michigan

1. Hour wise as an estimate, about 50 hours.

2. It was in a sealed box custom built to Alpine specs(0.80 cu ft)

3. I was running an Alpine MRD-M301 amp which is rated at 350 watts rms at 14.1V, but it was mostly running at 11-12 V as the digital display read.

4. I had it wired to run at a 2 ohm load on the amp.

If you want SQ I'd go with it. The guys at the local shop here tried to set me up with 2 of those for like $270. They said it would kick the Kicker out of the water loudness wise. I must say, my Kicker kicks soooooooooo much harder than those two did. The Alpines do have a much better sound quality though. I'd go for it.

Alpines stuff is about sound quality, not how loud and how much shit you can shake off your car.

Type E is the lowest sub you can buy

Type R is the midrange sub

Type X is your Heavy duty shit, but also heavy duty on your wallet.

A Type R for 50 bucks is a really good buy (box or not)

Alpine subs are better in Sealed Boxes.

A good amp for the Type R is the Alpine V12. You can get them in ranges from 300 RMS to 1000 RMS. They are also good on the Wallet.

I have a Alpine V12 300RMS running my Mtx Thunder 6000 and it runs it very well. The guy I bought the Amp off of had it running his 15 inch Clarion sub. That amp is a couple years old now and still has not given me a burp in performance.

i think he is saying they focus on quality before making sure they can go loud...

they last alot better than an average sub when you jack them up

That could be the context he was taking it into, who knows.

SQ, they'll be decent. I've definately heard much much better, but this is also a hobby of mine.

The type R will do good for Matt, especially at the price he is getting it at. He's already got a box being built for the sub, mainly for SQ, but can push out a nice db. Amp will come soon, along with some tuning from my part.

Oh no you can definately get those subs to go lound and bang bang and all that, but that is not really what they are designed to do. If you want to do that, get the X type :lol:

They will go loud though, and can take the punishment, but in my opinion an alpine sub is best suited for SQ and not for having California falling into the ocean.

All in all, Matt you are definately getting a good deal on the sub, so all I got to say is GOOD SHOPPING buddy.

Oh no you can definately get those subs to go lound and bang bang and all that, but that is not really what they are designed to do. If you want to do that, get the X type :lol:

They will go loud though, and can take the punishment, but in my opinion an alpine sub is best suited for SQ and not for having California falling into the ocean.

All in all, Matt you are definately getting a good deal on the sub, so all I got to say is GOOD SHOPPING buddy.

sq? how much linear excursion do they got?

they got more spl than anything.

and california will stay put without some excursion, sorry. :burnout: