What do you think of this low power problem and resolution?

Tim

I was laid of last November and have finally find work in Reno, NV. For the last 3 weeks or so my wife and I have been house shopping in the Reno area. Today I travelled to Nevada to check out a housing development. To do this I must traverse the Sierra Nevada, over 8500 feet at the pass. My 92 GP SE 3.1 didn't seem to want to rev above 4000 RPM. (had to downshift going up some of the hills) Almost as if the rev limiter were engaging in a driving mode. I know I need spark plug wires (original, approx 185K miles) as I connected an inductive timing light a while back and it was obvious that the iginition system was missing a few beats. I did have a tune up, fuel and air filter change approx. 40K ago. O2 sensor probably has 60-80K on it. However, on the way back I stopped to get gas and when I got back into the car to leave my brake pedal went all the way to the floor. Fortunatly, the place had a repair shop and they installed a new master cylinder. Anyways, as they had the car on the lift looking for cracked/broken brake lines or leaky wheel cylinders, the mechanic started beating on the cat and found that it was falling apart inside. My first thought was maybe it was becoming clogged and causing the car to lose power. The mechanic jokingly said there are no smog tests in the county I will be living in so I may as well disconnect the cat and drive a steel bar through the inside to clear up any clog that may be forming. It made sense to me in that all I would be doing is bypassing the baffles and such inside the cat. So, two questions. Do you guys think a partially clogged cat could cause the low rev situation and secondly, drive a bar through the thing to clear it up?

Thanks,

Tim

I think my cat is clogged also, should i just clean it out, or just replace it with a exhaust pipe, whats easier, and whats better for the cars performance?

Get a hacksaw or pipe cutter (blade) and cut the pipe about 5 inches or so at the back of the cat. Not ON the cat but the pipe right after the cat about 5 inches or so down the pipe.

You should be able to remove the cat and the pipe leading to the manifold. It is just held by two bolts with spring. You have to use two open wrenches/ratchet to remove the bolt.

Use a high speed drill with a big drill bit or you can just use a pointed rod or crowbar and hammer it inside slowly until all the elements(honeycomb) inside gets broken to small pieces and falls off.

Use a mask and googles to protect yourself from the dust and keep away from people when you are trying this. (They will surely cough/choke :) ).

Reconnect the other end of the pipe to the manifold with the two bolts and spring. Now, to connect the other end of the cat to the remaining pipe, just use a coupling. I think you need 2.24 size coupling both ends (measure your pipe's diameter to make sure. Just get two pipe clamps for a 2.24 size coupling. You can get the pipe coupling and pipe clamps at your local auto parts store (exhaust/pipe section).

You're Done.

Hollowed catalysts sound terrible, from the few Ive heard. If you're going to go that far, just chop the catalyst off the downpipe and clamp on a pipe with the flanges built in