UB3 question

Psych0matt

Ok, this has nothing to do with installing it or anything, Ive had it in for well over a year. Every once in a while, completely randomly, it will switch over to Metric, and stay there even if i hit the E/M button. It's odd, becase I don't have any idea why it does this, like I dont hit any big bumps or anything, I'll just randomly look down and it will be on Metric and not switch back until the car is off. I turn it back on either right away or next time i get in the car and its normal. any ideas? only thing i can think of is that it's old and probably has a slightly loose connection or something

anyone have anything like this ever happen before?

yeah, probably that's what it is. i know there is a broken connection for the right blinker, but i haevnt bothered fixing it again. This doesn;t happen often, just happened to do it twice in the last week. im more curious than annoyed

The english metric button for the UB3 is open/close. When open it is one, when closed it is the other. I wired a UB3 into my Lumina and had problems with that myself. It sounds like the cluster is going, I say this because from what you describe, a keycycle resets it. If it were the switch or the wiring, keycycling would NOT affect it. If it were the wiring either rubbed thru to ground, or to each other it would change back and forth, just as if you were pressing the switch.....

So yea, I say its the cluster if key cycling is indeed affecting it

The wire for E/M is just a switch to ground.

When the wire is grounded, the cluster switches to metric, otherwise it is English.

Maybe your E/M wire (typically blue) is occasionally grounding due to a bad or exposed connection.

probably that. I want to find a lower milage one anyways and hopefully line it up a bit closer to everything, and also eventually want my HUD, DIS, and UB3 all to switch E/M together.