Frozen AC pulley

Bri-Guy-GA

I just picked up a 95 GP with the 3.1. Due to the AC pulley being frozen I had to bypass it with a shorter belt. How do I tell if its the clutch or pulley bearing that has gone bad? Am I better off just replacing the whole compressor?

I would say yes buy a new one if you want ac. If not i would say gut the ac and have a free pump. Not hooked to anything/nothing in itthen put stock belt on it. Wont hurt anything if you do that just NO AC. So ya :leaving:

Where is the best place to get an Ac compressor, or does it not really matter? I am thinking reman to keep the cost down. I know I also need the orifice tube and drier.

Umm it might just be the AC clutches and that can be fixed. Is there a whining sound when the car is on.

The car wouldnt even crank with the AC connected. I had to bypass the AC to get the car to start. Guy I bought it said it was making noise, but he hasn't driven it much lately and it froze up. Can you get the pulley and clutch off without emptying the system? I only have time and $$$ to fix this thing once. These things are already R134 right?

95' is a little early for R134A. It is PROBABLY R12. Check the stickers under the hood.

How the hell did you bypass the a/c compressor? I tried on a 92' Lumina with a 3.1L and the back of the belt wouldn't touch the water pump pulley....

95' is a little early for R134A. It is PROBABLY R12. Check the stickers under the hood.

No, I believe '95 was either the cutoff, or shortly after the cutoff. Even my old '95 Neon had R134A. My GP sure as hell does.

How the hell did you bypass the a/c compressor? I tried on a 92' Lumina with a 3.1L and the back of the belt wouldn't touch the water pump pulley....

The bypass was easy. I pulled the old belt wrapped string around the pulleys not including the AC and bought a new belt. Think it was a 64K or something. I looked and didnt see any stickers or R134 fittings either. Where are they?

r12 to r134 conversion was done during the 94 model year.

Fittings are almost out of view, on the tubes along the drivers side body rail, below and to the rear of the airbox.

why not just leave it bypassed :dunno: unless you really want ac, in which case you have all winter to find parts or fix it

Exactly. I want AC. I do too much driving during the summer here in Atlanta to go without. Did it this past summer and don't want to repeat that. Will get the system evacuated and replace the compressor this winter before it gets to cold.

Sounds good. I didn't see this thread earlier, but I'm sure the problem was the bearing. Too many proprietary tools required to replace just the bearings, so yeah, getting a replacement is the best way to go.

Those recommending to go without AC are freakin' nuts. No AC in Georgia? Yeah, right! Even when I was up in ND and Canada during the summer, I needed the AC!

• 5 years later...

Bri-Guy- im having this same problem! my a/c clutch was bad and i hadn't replaced it yet. last night the belt broke and when i put new one on the car wouldn't start. come to find out it was because the a/c pully had locked up completely. im wondering how you bypassed it? i have a 1997 grand prix gtp supercharged. thanks!

hey how did you bypass your a/c? i have a 97 grand prix gtp supercharged and the ac pully locked up from the clutch being bad and now the car wont start with the belts on because of it. im needing a quick fix for now and want to know how to bypass it . thanks!