RobertISaar

i got ahold of a 200W Depth Charge amp a couple of days ago and i know plenty about wiring but i don't know where the best place would be to run the power wire through the firewall, its a 95 Monte LS with NO OPTIONS... another thing where would be a good place to connect the ground wire to? if it makes a difference i'm using it to power a pair of Kenwood KFC-6964s in the back which say they're rated for 100W each and they've been in the car since 1996: need replaced anyway.

Power wire- There was a grommet on the first gens near the brake booster, not sure on the 1.5's If not there, drill a hole with a Unibit 962152_lg.gif

Ground- Wherever your heart desires. Some people say the seat bolts, others drill there own hole for a ground. Wherever you decided to use, be sure to scrape away any paint, and make sure that the ground will stay secure.

while i'm in the audio section i got a question about sound laws: what is the limit(in michigan, possibly) because my El Camino should get pulled over every time it idles if the law is that if you can hear it from 100 feet away(a huge cam, dual 3" exhaust even though its got a pair of Super Turbo mufflers, and 10MPG = plently of noise) because you can hear it coming toward you from 1/2 mile away, and going away from you about 3/4 mile... cops already point every gun(laser/radar/projectile) they can at it thanks to flames, hoodscoop, 12" tires, and the beautiful noise coming from the cam and exhaust, but its never been pulled over, so i'm wondering is there a different law for sound systems and exhaust noise? i can get a dB meter for about $25 so i can get just under the legal limit if it'll keep the noise violations off me.

See where the red wire passes through?

firewall.jpg

This is the grommet he speaks of. And to confirm, yes the 1.5G's have the same grommet/hole (meaning the 95 Monte will have the same thing...)

See where the red wire passes through?

This is the grommet he speaks of. And to confirm, yes the 1.5G's have the same grommet/hole (meaning the 95 Monte will have the same thing...)

thank you...i'd rather not drill any holes/ cut any sheetmetal in my firewall unless i'm making room for cylinder heads on a Chevy SB 427.

I was waiting for Kevin to pop up that picture!

Anyways, drilling a hole isn't bad. I'm an installer, I have to do it pretty often. And believe me, our firewalls are empty compared to some of the other cars I've worked on.

And believe me, our firewalls are empty compared to some of the other cars I've worked on.

don't suppose you could tell me where i could run a power wire through the firewall in an 83 El Camino could you? i have a 240W Sentrek(real piece of sh*t but i got it free) and its going to power 2 8" ported woofers with 2 tweeters sticking out of the top of the box. i have a feeling the amp will last all of 60 seconds before it turns into a coaster for my 2 liter. if it does... oh well.

but i have read that if i'm powering two 4 ohm speakers it will put a 2 ohm load on the amp right? all of the wiring diagrams i have seen look wrong to me: i want to put the left channel positive and negative into the left speaker and put the right channel positive and negitive in the right speaker. none of the series, parellel, or series/parellel diagrams i have seen do this. am i trying to do something stupid?

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/ohms_law/ohms_law.htm

thats one of them

It all depends on how you wire your 2 4 ohm speakers.

2_4ohm_svc_2ohm.gif

2_4ohm_svc_8ohm.gif

As for where you run the power wire through, I'm sure that vehicle came with a manual transmission option. If it is auto equipped, run it through one of the manual tranny grommets. I always look for those first, then I start looking for other possibilities.

in the top picture: is the top picture simplified(only using one wire for + and one for - but it intends to show one positive and one negative per speaker)?

Well... you could wire it a few different ways if your looking to drop it down to 2 ohms.

+ lead on speaker one to the + input on amp, + lead on speaker 2 to the same + input on amp

Same for the negatives.

Or....

+ on speaker 1 to the + on speaker 2, then + from speaker 2 to the + on the amp

Same for the negatives.

Well... you could wire it a few different ways if your looking to drop it down to 2 ohms.

+ lead on speaker one to the + input on amp, + lead on speaker 2 to the same + input on amp

Same for the negatives.

is this saying that only two terminals will be used?

Same for the negatives.

is this saying that only two terminals will be used?

On the amp, yes. Make sure you are able to bridge your amp before you go and do this.

BTW, I'm assuming these are single voice coil subwoofers. Also, why not just run them into the amp through there own channels? Why are you bridging them?

i don't want to bridge them and i was trying to say that i didn't want to, sorry if i didn't say it clearly enough. just wanted to know why NO diagrams showed the amp and speakers set up the way i was trying to explain it

i don't want to bridge them and i was trying to say that i didn't want to, sorry if i didn't say it clearly enough. just wanted to know why NO diagrams showed the amp and speakers set up the way i was trying to explain it

so you have a two channel amp and you have two subs, you'd like to hook up one sub to each channel, correct?

that is possible, and will work as far as I know. It's really easy to set up, just matching up positive terminals on the subs to the positive terminals on the amp, and same for the negatives. You'll need two sets of wires coming out of the box, one for each sub, and you'll use two speaker terminals on the amp.

I think, though, that you might get more power to the subs if you bridge the amp and then run both subs off of the same terminals using parallel wiring (to bring the ohm load down to 2). You should check the specs on your amp before you attempt this as some amps can't/shouldn't be bridged. It may also be better for your sub to run at 8 ohms rather than 2. 2 ohms will get you more power, but may overheat the amp.

You have tweeters, do you have any midranges? You probably shouldn't try to run the speakers off the same amp as the subs, so try and run those through the deck, or if you have another amp, use that. Look into some crossovers, if you don't already have some, so you're sending the right frequencies to those tweeters.

4 ohm Mono or 2 ohm Stereo without problems which is why i want to run the wiring described above. i've got the factory 5 1/4" speakers up front(which i'm gonna replace as soon as i have a reason to tear apart the door) for midrange