Pewter TGP still alive... not kicking much...but alive

90_Black_TGP

Well, due to crap-ola health and a freaking super blistering hot summer, my TGP rebuild project got put on hold, but now the weather is getting better and I 'think' I'll be able to get back on it. Right now the whole interior is well, in the trunk, laying inside the car and all over the garage. The paint is STILL not complete ( I wasn't happy with the hood and the roof so I am re-working it) and she has decided to get an attitude and start eating batteries. I haven't been able to keep a battery in it longer than about 30-45 days. I have been starting the car up and letting it run and warm up good at least once a week, but it hasn't been helping the battery at all. I have unhooked all stero equip, alarm (since she lives in the garage 24/7) and still can't figure it out. Any ideas? I have a feeling its the computer but I really don't want to have to unhook the battery and go thru the "learn" process everytime I start it up....

Still looks like this...

IM001488.jpg

If the ground post pictured here is corroded that may cause problems2056262_108_full.jpg

its the ground from your block to the chassis. factory paint needs to be scraped off if it hasnt been done yet.

same story on the ground lead to the core support.

the ground studs on the tranny pictured here usually are oily and wire jackets all shrunk back and have exposed copper wire. I just cut them back and used heat shrink connecters and crimped in an extra length of wire.

2056262_111_full.jpg

Guest TurboSedan

i love how that car looks in Pewter! they should have made the TGP available in that color, or at least the silver on the Z34.

really sounds to me you have a short somewhere. they can be a bitch to find :confused: good luck!

Starting it up and letting it run really doesn't charge the battery. You need to actually drive it to keep the battery charged. Most alternators don't charge sufficiently below 1000 rpm.

Nice looking car though!

The brushes mite be stuck in the alternator, which will cause a back feed in the charging system, which will drain the battery.

It will still charge, butt win the engine is off it will draw power from the battery.

This has happened to me, don’t know if it will help :dunno:

Sweet tgp. :mrgreen:

I forgot to ask this in the last thread that we talked about your car in with the air ducts for the brakes, but did you put a screen at the front of the ducts so leaves and other crap wouldn't get in there?

I forgot to ask this in the last thread that we talked about your car in with the air ducts for the brakes, but did you put a screen at the front of the ducts so leaves and other crap wouldn't get in there?

No, but I need to. Every once and a while, I will get a leaf stuck in there, but the weekely trips to the car wash and the large volume of air that goes thru there pretty much keeps the ducts clean.

nice color man. I really, really like silver/pewter with black wheels. :)

i love how that car looks in Pewter! they should have made the TGP available in that color, or at least the silver on the Z34.

that color def looks nice on there. nice to see something out of the ordinary every once in a while

Thanks! Its a different look for sure. I went back and forth on what color to paint it. I wanted something that didn't show dirt and crap like the black did. That and it will match my truck that I plan on towing it to the track with!

Thanks for the tips Garrett Powered... I am going to try them and see what happens. (update: it may just be my luck... I went out to get in the truck and tried to start it. It just turned over once, popped and quit. When I raised the hood and checked the battery, the + post had corroded off and fell out still hooked to the cable)