XR 653-CSi components from JL

Garrett Powered

they tried to push those foriegn made Focal 3 way components on me, but they cost way more and are only slightly better. I think the diamonds were more expensive too.

the drivers are german and they got packaged in USA. that'll work! Plus the reviews have been great on these, installed into ferraris on TV shows like "unique whips"

2056262_144_full.jpg

here is the 4" mid up next to my 10+ year old Boston component mid.

2056262_143_full.jpg

looks like a tie. the bostons win with what you "see" like the basket, magnet. they lasted a long time, made in USA, ect. but the JLs win obviously with their more efficient motor structure and crossover electronics. the JL 4 will only be a mid, while the boston was a mid/sub.

2056262_141_full.jpg

the bostons were bad ass.

they actually blew out the backs of the sealed boxes so I had to line them with polyurethane glue. thats alright, now they are tested and true. I like how they come with mounting rings. I glued them in place for an airtight fit, plus I used the speaker gasket material they came with. :wink:

2056262_142_full.jpg

the tweeters. the swivel/tilt mounting hardware works sweet.

they come with little emblems. didnt use them yet as they arent seen under the dash. they have a 5 point tilt but I just pointed them straight up at the windshield so they are at the perfect stock angle. the leads came prefabbed, just need to crimp on the other side to your harness and plug in.

everythings already almost installed, the 6.5s will be in a week or two.

I need to build pods for each side of the back shelf because the middle is getting hacked out so the bass can get through from the W-7. also going to mount some tweeters back there too, run them off the decks rear channel and turn them down for rear fill.

Which Diamond's were you looking at? D9's?

BTW, how do you like the XR lineup? They're supposed to be pretty nice! I woulda looked for a set of Rainbow's myself, if I were to spend that much money!

I dont know who sells rainbows around here.

and honestly I didnt look into getting diamond components too much. the salesman at the store I went to didnt seem too enthoused about them either, so I just went somewhere else.

I wanted to go for something I KNEW would be good and a store I could return them to and bitch if they didnt work right. :lol:

God man I understand eD's are good subs and all but you are ridiculous with all your ploy's

I mean no matter what the thread title is your chime in with how good YOUR eD's are. I am betting that the starter of the thread doesn't care about your eD's.

Take it easy, there is about a million diffrent companies than eD and I am betting they are still not the best bang for your buck.

Don't mean to be a dick but I got to say it.

well, it looks like the mids are going to require 2.3 liters or .08 cubic feet and my boxes are .75 to 1 liter at the most so looks like Im gonna half to drill out the back and stuff it with polyfil or something. :sad: the manual says that any sealed boxes less than 2.3 liters will change the frequency response of the driver. damn I wanted a sealed mid box :smile24:

I have decided to try drilling two 3/4" holes in the back and stuffing the polyfill really tight in the hole so it will simulate a larger enclosure and will still "sound" like a sealed box but now with no effect on the drivers frequency response.

guess I will have to sandwich in some polyfil in between the speakerbox and the sheetmetal when I bolt it back down. should work. :neutral:

A local car audio nut was selling a set of lightly used(less than 4 hours of play) Rainbow Profi's on ebay not too long ago.

The D9's are supposed to be a badass set of components. But, you can't go wrong with the JL's you picked out!

2056262_145_full.jpg

thats the 6.5"^.damn that pic sucked, gunna half to git summore :mrgreen:

took a hole saw to the back shelf today :twisted: to let more bass come thru.

2056262_146_full.jpg

you can kind of see how the speaker hole is right under the shelf pointing right at it. I might cut a slot in the carpet over the holes and put some type of mesh there. would have to paint it dark though or there will be glare.

2056262_147_full.jpg

thats just cheap sound deadener from parts express. that was before I reinforced that back shelf with another layer of sheetmetal under it. wanted it to stay put while the bass moves freely instead of trying to flex it.

woot! got the JVC KD-AVX2!

finally I will have sounds for the first time since the system got jacked.

...well, sights AND sounds :wink:

Damnit I want that deck! Lots of cool features.

But.... Probably the next deck I invest $500 into would be a basic McIntosh or Eclipse.

BTW, how well did that parts express deadener work? I had seen that in there book for years now, and had always thought of picking some up.

I always forget to clean with alcohol first.

but never had a piece fall off either, so must be the goods.

easy to cut and peel, very cheap and no expensive logos, takes paint well.

even used the stuff to replace the sound deadener on my gas tank and now you cant even hear the fuel pump :biggrin:

Nice! I might pick up some of it then, especially for the price. My rear deck rattles soo damn much with the 12W6V6 in it's big ass box, and I'm about to pick up an amp that will about double the power :eek:

~Hop's on parts express and orders sound deadener~

that neoprene stuff is really nice too. the peel and stick foam deadener. id pick up a little of that too. its good for a lot of stuff like rattles, gaskets for speakers, in between the 6x9 housing and the back shelf.