Who here knows about BLOCK LEARN?

gmrulz4u

I am wanting to know the MAXIMUM and MINIMUM "Block Learn" values that are pre-programmed into our ECM's(2.8/3.1) from the factory. Some ECM's won't let the "Block Learn" go below 108, some 102, some 90 etc...etc...

Anyone?

THANKS!:)

Your way over my head but i would like to hear more about what you are doing.Are you reprograming your ecm?If so I havent asked on here but I would like to get the information on where to get the software and hardware to do it on my 2.8 and my 3.1

Your way over my head but i would like to hear more about what you are doing.Are you reprograming your ecm?If so I havent asked on here but I would like to get the information on where to get the software and hardware to do it on my 2.8 and my 3.1

Give me an email address and I'll email you the schematic to make your own "translator", as well as a link to download the software to run on a laptop.

I am wanting to know the MAXIMUM and MINIMUM "Block Learn" values that are pre-programmed into our ECM's(2.8/3.1) from the factory. Some ECM's won't let the "Block Learn" go below 108, some 102, some 90 etc...etc...

Anyone?

THANKS!:)

The Block Learn Multiplier (BLM) is used as a long-term adjustment to keep the air/fuel ratio in check. The Integrator (Int) is used as a short term correction. Now, long-term is about 5 seconds and short-term about 20 times a second so they aren't any real length time. The BLM attempts to keep itself at 128, this is the midway point between 0-255. Any lower than 128 and it removes fuel, above 128, it adds fuel. The O2 sensor readings is what the ECM uses to change the Int. This allows the ECM to respond quickly to fuel needs. The ECM uses RPM and MAP/MAF to determine what BLM cell to use. If the Int. can't make a suitable correction, the ECM switches BLM cells. There are 16 BLM cells, each with a different fuel curve. On a properly tuned car, the BLM and Int will bounce around some but if you are idling at temp then they will begin to stabilize at 128.

If you need any help or if this was completely confusing, let me know.

If you need any help or if this was completely confusing, let me know.

Thanks Whiskey:) I pretty much already knew what you had mentioned, seeing as I've been researching it online practically ALL day!:)

Anyways, what I'm more concerned about now is the "BLM CELL". I know there's 16 cells that the ECM "looks up" for various engine RPM vs. LOAD combinations. BUT, I have an AutoXray ODB Scanner that allows me to vew LIVE data, and I'm quite concered because the only "Block Learn Memory Cells" I ever get is "0" and "1"!? Now, I'm not sure if this is totally strange and NOT normal, or what?

I would think that the "BLM Cell" parameter should constantly be changing while driving due to the various RPM vs. LOAD combinations experienced while doing "daily" driving. Am I right???

For example, I keep reading online that cell "0" may be used for idling at no load and low RPMs, and cell "15" may be used for WIDE OPEN THROTTLE etc...

If my ECM always stays in cells "0" and "1", what the hell does that tell me??

does that plug into the ALDL and run through the circuit to the serial cable on a laptop?? send me the schematics if so, and a link to the program.

send to pabz25@hotmail.com

It sure does, it probably cost me about $25 in parts. I had it assembled in about an hour and was using it quite frequently, up until I shocked the MAX232 chip, now I have to spend another $5 to replace that.

If my ECM always stays in cells "0" and "1", what the hell does that tell me??

That is the limitation of our PROM chips. The chips for the V8 and Turbo 6 engines will show more of the 0-16 cells. Ours is only programmed with 0 and 1.

can you send me all that information too, email is

jonathan@crazy-train.net

jon

I'm out of town right now, once I get back on Sunday I'll email it to you. The program though is from http://www.andywhittaker.com. The program is called FreeScan and it works with most GM ECMs. You have to set it for the engine type but it also gives a nice set of gauges to look at as well.