LQ1 exhaust suggestions

joey b

so my mufflers are swiss cheese. I would like some suggestions. I dont need to sound like a V8, I just need to not sound so friggin loud. I would like so keep the fake duals solely due to the cosmetics. I would also like to keep it cheap\innexpensive. What do you suggest. BTW, what does a resonator look like? I dont think I have one on my car.

a resonator looks like a glasspack muffler.

no flowmasters on a 60v6, i tried and it was so raspy it was deafening.

maybe slick will chime in with what type of mufflers my z34 has, because it sounds beautiful.

I sucessfully used muffler patch in a can on one of my car's mufflers. are they too far gone to even attempt? I really like the stocker 3.4 duals. Especially on a 3.1 car :)

I liike magnaflow. Make sure you don't get the straight through ones though, they are really loud but they sound great. For both of my Magnaflows, a new cat, and a 12inch glasspack, with 2.5inch piping, it was right at $400. I could have dropped the price alot if i hadn't gotten the new cat.

Kyle

i have 2 thrush 2 1/4 inch mufflers on my 92 with 2 1/4 pipping from a catco high flow cat all the way to the mufflers and they sound good i would have to say about 2 notes above what a stock 3800 L36 exhaust sounds like i like them

Ive heard that Magnaflow sounds good on the DOHC's. I have Dynomax on mine and it sounds good. From about 2500RPM and up you can tell its starting to scream... Its just a different tone all together....

If you put a glasspack in place of the resonator, be sure to put mufflers on there too. I didn't, and it was loud, and raspy, and kinda annoying on long trips. It did sound really good at idle, but that was it.

i got a new cat, 2.5" press bent(too much $$ for mandrel) from the cat to the magnaflow(#12246, stratight through)muffler. it was $250-300, loud due to not having the resonator on it. :burnout:

a resonator looks like a glasspack muffler.

no flowmasters on a 60v6, i tried and it was so raspy it was deafening.

maybe slick will chime in with what type of mufflers my z34 has, because it sounds beautiful.

From the downpipe- cat, glasspack(or resonator), y pipe, then dual magnaflows

The glasspack, or resonator(whichever your shop has in stock) quieted down the exhaust a ton, yet it still had a good sound to it. But.... the magnaflows can get pricey quick. You might check out the Dynomax mufflers, just be sure to put a resonator and a cat installed also, to keep it legal, and quiet.

here we go again :mrgreen: i have 2.5" mandrel to dual 2.25" crush bent with a dynomax glass pack for resonator, magnaflow high-flow cat and 2.25" magnaflows on mine (stock downpipe :frown:)and its freaking loud! but not raspy AT ALL. you probably dont want that.