bullet vs. regular glasspack

intern8tion9l

well on my list of things to do that never seems to get any smaller is exhaust. i need it badly. i've been looking at that dynomax bullet, and reading about, and also your everyday thrush glasspack. to me they seem like essentially the same thing, just that the dynomax costs twice as much. anyone has experience with both of these? what i really want to know is the sound difference if any

The bullets sound different than a regular glasspack, they have more of a racing type sound rather than the typical "old truck" sound you get with a regular glasspack. :lol: I have a dynomax bullet on my '93 using it as a resonator fwiw. What's your exhaust consist of now? :wink:

Guest TurboSedan

i have a generic bullet style muffler on my Cutlass, i think it's Summit brand. the rest of the exhaust is just stock pipe with no cat & no resonator. i really like how it sounds, definately alot meaner sounding than it was with the stock muffler and a noticeable improvement on the butt-dyno. once i get the fake duals installed (from my TSTE) i will probably go with a DynoMax UltraFlo like my GTS has. i don't know if i should get one or two.

what would be really nice is 3" mandrel bent from turbine to tailpipe but i'm not going to bother doing that until i upgrade the turbo.

What's your exhaust consist of now? :wink:

my exhaust consists of s shitty summit racing cutout that leaks like a bastard, and then connected to my stock 2.8 tailpipe which is waaaaayyy to small and restricts the living hell out of the turbo, and split to dual canister-type mufflers in the back. yeah it pretty much sucks

what would be really nice is 3" mandrel bent from turbine to tailpipe but i'm not going to bother doing that until i upgrade the turbo.

i'm def going to do 3", but not mandrel bent cause i don't know where to get that done nor do i feel like paying for it. good to know you are always on at 3am too! ha

Guest TurboSedan

i haven't really looked around for mandrel bends yet, but they should be pretty easy to find (probably Summit). on my Cutlass, it has single outlet exhaust that goes over the rear subframe. the TSTE dual outlet exhaust on the other hand goes under the subframe. it looks like it would be really easy for an exhaust shop to put together a 3" mandrel bent system (going under the subframe) if you supply them the mandrel bends. the hard part would be the downpipe. ATPturbo.com has a 3" 5-bolt T25 style V-band adapter as well as V-band flex bellows and V-band modular pipe...nice stuff for making a downpipe.

btw, Matt...did you by any chance save those pics of eclipse5302's 3" mandrel bent exhaust that he had in his turbo Cutlass? i remember he had pics on steturbo.com of his entire exaust system laying on his driveway.

Are you going to use a cat? If so, I would run no mufflers and add a universal resonator or two(or maybe just two resonators if you're not going to use a cat).

I was thinking about ditching the high-flow cat on my TGP, but I think I'll just slap a fresh one on there when I fix my x-over, and then I'm going to add an electric cutout as well.

Here's a short clip of my car, I think you've seen it already though.(carsound/magnaflow 3'' in/out cat, 2.5'' piping, and a ~12'' long universal resonator).

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f14/platjblser/?action=view&current=tgpexhaust.flv&refPage=40&imgAnch=imgAnch44

EDIT: Yeah, Josh, I have those pictures saved somewhere(I think on my other harddrive). I'll see if I can't find them again right quick using the internet archive site though. :wink:

EDIT#2: I looked for those pictures of Jason's exhaust and could not find them. I think I might have lost them when one of my old harddrives crashed about 2-3yrs ago.

no i don't have a cat. i find it interesting that ste exhaust goes under the subframe...i'd def be interested to see that. seems like that would make things a lot easier....

If you wanted to do mandral bent I can get you some 3" elbows that would work. You would just have to either weld them or clamp them in place. Although I would highly suggest welding them.