Check Guages

Regal_GS_1989

Does anyone know what exactly can trigger the check guages light on a 92 cutlass? I was driving it today and the light just came on. All of the guages were fine. If I would stop and restart the car, it would go out, and then it came on again like 5 minutes later. The only time that it has ever come on before is either when i have low fuel, or i hit the amber line on the tach. All the fluid levels are good, and the car still runs fine, except for what sounds like a noisy idler pulley :evil: But that's going to wait till next year for me to figure out.

There a couple things that can trigger it IIRC.

low oil pressure

high temp

low alternator output

low fuel

high rpms

There may be more that I am missing...

It sounds like a sensor is messing up just for a second.... IIRC it only has to sense low oil pressure for a moment and the light will illuminate until the next key cycle. I think it the same for all the triggers.

I've never seen my Check Gauges come on when I've had low oil pressure. In fact I've had 0 Oil pressure and it never turned on.. But then again, neither did the engine shortly after. As goes with the High Temp. I've been pretty high on the scale and never had any warning lights. Same with the low voltage. Never seen the check gauges come on when I've needed a boost.

Now Low Fuel. That definately triggers check gauges. I personally think that's the purpose of the light

mine came on when my alternator went, when i ran out of gas and when my oil pressure was too low, i havent run it hot yet though so i hope that works lol, but i recently updated it to the ub3 cluster so they all have their own thing, oh yeah my 1994 cutty

I've never seen my Check Gauges come on when I've had low oil pressure. In fact I've had 0 Oil pressure and it never turned on.. But then again, neither did the engine shortly after. As goes with the High Temp. I've been pretty high on the scale and never had any warning lights. Same with the low voltage. Never seen the check gauges come on when I've needed a boost.

Now Low Fuel. That definately triggers check gauges. I personally think that's the purpose of the light

I agree. The only time its come one for me was like I said when I was low on gas. When my alternator went, I had the x-mas tree on my dash. Every light that could have turned on did. But low fuel was only time Ive had it come on.

I drove it all day after posting this, and it never came on again. The next day, it came on on 3 seperate occasions. I think tonight i will reset the ECM and see if that makes a difference. If not, I have a feeling that there may be an issue with the cluster itself. The car is only going to be on the road until the 18th, then the Regal is getting insured and the cutlass will be parked for the winter, so i guess i can live with it for a few more days.