Turn signal issue

Supreme Cutlass

I've got an issue where my turn signal stalk feels the same but sometimes the right turn signal doesn't work. If I push up on the stalk real hard it will light up but not otherwise. What's wrong?

Alright, here are some pics about how to clean and re bend the contacts

This pic is the signal swtich as removed from the car.

TurnSignal_1.jpg

Number 1 in this pic shows the pivot removed. Just push it out. Might be a little tough, but it comes right out. Push it out the bottom.

Number 2 shows the toggle removed. The thing removed is the white thing from the first pic and the spring. Just turn one end in and maneuver the thing out. Pretty simple

TurnSignal_2.jpg

This pic shows the top piece now removed from the main part. The part in the top of the pic is where you want to bend the contacts. However, clean the grease off the copper contacts on the main part and any dirt that might be there. You'll have to put new grease back on before reassembly

TurnSignal_3.jpg

This pic shows the top piece turned upside down. You can see the places where each tab contacts the main part. Clean these off and maybe hit them with sandpaper just a little bit to get any junk off.

TurnSignal_4.jpg

This pic shows how to bend the contacts. The two that are bend here are the two that look taller in the pic

TurnSignal_5.jpg

Now, just reassemble and install. Be sure and re grease whatever spots you had to get grease off of.

Just out of curiousity, would it be better to buy a new switch, or just bend the old one? I don't mind paying for a new part if it's a better long term solution.

Just out of curiousity, would it be better to buy a new switch, or just bend the old one? I don't mind paying for a new part if it's a better long term solution.

Well, yours working intermittently, right? Might just be as simple as the quick fix I talked about. I always try the re bend/clean first and see how long that lasts. Sometimes it'll last a couple of years, sometimes a couple of months. I would at least try it. It doesnt take long to take the wheel and swtich off, so it's not like you'll be losing the car for several days.

Well, yours working intermittently, right? Might just be as simple as the quick fix I talked about. I always try the re bend/clean first and see how long that lasts. Sometimes it'll last a couple of years, sometimes a couple of months. I would at least try it. It doesnt take long to take the wheel and swtich off, so it's not like you'll be losing the car for several days.

Yea totally don't waste your money.... I did the bend-and-clean almost 2 years and 25,000 miles ago, and it works perfect still... It isn't a quick fix, it lasted me 2 years so far. When you take apart your switch you will see.... the contacts will be dirty and the dielectric grease will be all gummy. Especially the contacts that the tabs you bend ride against in the main body of the switch. You really couldn't ask for a better write up than the one robby1870 just posted, unless you need to know how to pull the wheel as well. Its definetly worth a shot.

good info! My lazy ass should have done that write up. Wait.... I'm not lazy, I'm busy as fuck.

I usually punch the pivot point out with a quick punch of the phillips screw driver, BEFORE removing the switch from the column,

You need a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel, and you can omit the lock plate removal step from the procedure on square columns.

• 3 months later...

Did it last night, as I was kinda spurred into doing it by the state. I'd just like to note for anyone else doing it on one of the older models that it's not quite as simple with the tilting steering wheel. Btw.. I have a piece of plastic left over but I have no idea where it goes... :willynilly:

Don't all W-Bodies have tilt columns?

I thought so.

Did it last night, as I was kinda spurred into doing it by the state. I'd just like to note for anyone else doing it on one of the older models that it's not quite as simple with the tilting steering wheel. Btw.. I have a piece of plastic left over but I have no idea where it goes... :willynilly:

Take a pic of the piece and post it.