Looking at a possible trade on subwoofers

slick

Well.. a guy on another forum I am on posted up his 12" Cerwin Vega Stroker Pro up for sale. He said the main reason he wanted to get rid of it was the fact it was just too damn heavy(66 lbs). He said he was up for trades. I basically let him know what I have, and he seems very intersted(I have a JL 12W6V2). Anyways, he's passing through Toledo tomorrow, and wants to hear how it sounds, and I want to hear how his sounds. I told him I would be up for putting in some cash on this trade, mainly for the reason that his would outperform mine any day of the week.

So... Mine has about 30 hours of play, total. His as 4 hours of play(not even broken in yet). His sub is 2000 w RMS, only put 1000 RMS to it. Mine is 500 RMS, I only put an avg. of 350-375 w RMS to it(and we all know that the W6 can handle much more than the rated 500 RMS).

What do you guys think?

The Stroker is IMO one of the most unique woofers ever made. It just looks Cool to see the spider from the top of the dust cap. They take a mamoth beating too. But you better have a hydro electric station on tap to get them moving. they love the power.

0510cae_cvstroker_01_z.jpg

http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/mobileaudio/index.html

Looking at picking up an MA Audio amp, rated at 1000w RMS at 1 ohm. I believe the Stroker is about 2000w RMS, 5000w max. I will see this saturday what will happen.

I dont wanna be biased, but I think of you strapped a pair os eD's Nine.1's that would get it moving pretty darn good!

Don't have the straight up cash for it, thats why I might be doing a trade. Otherwise, I would consider it.

I dont wanna be biased, but I think of you strapped a pair os eD's Nine.1's that would get it moving pretty darn good!

Don't have the straight up cash for it, thats why I might be doing a trade. Otherwise, I would consider it.

Well at least you know you always have room for system expansion...lol. Its rated ast 2500wms, and has a Xmax of 40mm... :eek:....but what gets me is Cerwin Vega recommend s a 49hz tuning on the box for the 12 and 36 for the 15.....wtf! This in and of itself leads me to believe it may not have the best SQ.....but I guess time will tell.

Well at least you know you always have room for system expansion...lol. Its rated ast 2500wms, and has a Xmax of 40mm... :eek:....but what gets me is Cerwin Vega recommend s a 49hz tuning on the box for the 12 and 36 for the 15.....wtf! This in and of itself leads me to believe it may not have the best SQ.....but I guess time will tell.

Yeah, I read the manual, and the specs seemed pretty damn wierd. I do really like the SQ of my JL that I currently have(sitting in a 2.78 ft^3 box tuned to 34 hz, suprisingly no port noise and great SQ!). So... I think I would lose some SQ, but the SPL would probably jump up a bit.

Dont be shocked if the SPL doesnt increase. The stroker isnt anywhere near as efficient as the JL. So to get the most out of the stroker you are going to need at least 2kw.

Dont be shocked if the SPL doesnt increase. The stroker isnt anywhere near as efficient as the JL. So to get the most out of the stroker you are going to need at least 2kw.

Hmm.... Well... It's really still up in the air on the trade. He really wanted cash for the sub, and I told him there is no way I could give him straight up cash, that I could only do a sub/box + cash trade. I think he has some bills to pay :lol: Reckon if anything, I will mess with the amp I currently have a bit more to see what else I can pull out of it, then if it's still not enough, upgrade.

JLs FTW

There's much much better than JL out there, but i'm happy with what I currently have. But, if I can move onto bigger and better things for close to nothing, then I'm going to do it!

The way that this is sounding, I dont think you should trade. You dont have the money to really do what you need/want to do in this situation.

For example: Lets say you do the trade and you get that sub. Powering it is one main issue. So you get the amps to power it. Now you have a current draw problem and are trying to make your car's electrical system catch up. And upgrading all the power/ground wires ( unless you already are running 0g ) Plus the enclosure to put this thing in. And by the time its all said and done, and youve spent all this money, who says that this will be better than what you currently have?

IMHO of course.

The way that this is sounding, I dont think you should trade. You dont have the money to really do what you need/want to do in this situation.

For example: Lets say you do the trade and you get that sub. Powering it is one main issue. So you get the amps to power it. Now you have a current draw problem and are trying to make your car's electrical system catch up. And upgrading all the power/ground wires ( unless you already are running 0g ) Plus the enclosure to put this thing in. And by the time its all said and done, and youve spent all this money, who says that this will be better than what you currently have?

IMHO of course.

Well, the big 3 will probably be done tomorrow night if i'm bored at work (i'm an installer). I already have over 20 feet of 0 guage just sitting around. I have 2 distribution blocks, like 5 fuse holders, and tons of 0 guage terminals. I also have about 50 ft of 4 guage just sitting around also(benefits of being an installer). Enclosure, we would trade our sub/box combo. The box the sub is currently in is perfect for the sub.

I mean, I do actually have the money, but I don't want to spend it. I wanna pay down the CC a bit, but otherwise all my bills are pretty much set per month, so I know what my limit is per month.

I dunno, maybe I'll just power the hell out of this W6. How much power do you think I can throw at it before it blows? :lol:

Damn. Wanna send some of that 0g my way! :lol:

Im really thinking I need to upgrade to 0g when I get this alternator because right now Im pretty much maxing out the 4g wire. ( should have went with 0g from the start )

Im willing to bet itll take a fair amount of power to blow it.

Welp, decided to just keep the W6. The guy is unsure what he wants to do, so basically I told him that if down the line he's still interested in a trade, to let me know.

So.... I guess I might look for another amp.