RKE still not working after re-solder

Bossman429

Here's the sitch:

My RKE didn't work at all a while ago, so I took the module out and re-soldered it.

After re-soldering the module, it now does the self test when grounding out the purple wire in the trunk.

If I push a button on the remote it does nothing, I have tried grounding it, waiting for the doors to all lock, unlock and the trunk to pop, then I push a remote button, nothing, try it again pushing another button, nothing, push all 3 buttons, nothing.

SO I looked into it further, I've taken two known good remotes from customers cars, i.e. I go to the customer's car, use their RKE remote on their car; it works, walk over to mine, try to program their remote to my car...nothing.

Any ideas? Anybody got a known good RKE module they could send my way, I'm sure something in the reciever has to be fudged up. I don't really want to try to re-solder the module again, but I can if I have to.

Here's what I do:

1. Ground terminal in trunk

2. LIsten for the doors to lock, unlock, and the trunk solenoid to click

3. Push a couple buttons on the remote.

The system doesn't respond at all to the button presses.

After I unground the terminal, nothing works.

That's the right procedure, correct?

Here's what I do:

1. Ground terminal in trunk

2. LIsten for the doors to lock, unlock, and the trunk solenoid to click

3. Push a couple buttons on the remote.

The system doesn't respond at all to the button presses.

After I unground the terminal, nothing works.

That's the right procedure, correct?

Yeah, that's right. The box might just be totally junk. I got a new box from Heza back in January from a 95? GP and it's just now starting to crap out on me. It's only get harder and harder to find working boxes.

• 4 weeks later...

BUMP*

Ok so I had a 94 Trans Am with RKE in the shop today and I did some testing.

The working TA RKE remote WOULD NOT program to my car.

I tested my 2 remotes on the TA and they both work.

That being said I no know that my remotes are good.

I got another RKE module from the junkyard, and installed it in my car.

when I ground the terminal in the trunk, it locks and unlocks all doors, I press a remote button....NOTHING!

SO here's what I know:

BOTH of my Remotes are known to be good

2 separate RKE modules did the exact same thing, ground, cycle locks, won't learn a remote.

SO I need to figure out what's wrong, is there an antenna or something for the RKE module?

I looked at the wiring diagram, and may do some testing this weekend.

WTF is wrong!???

I thought for sure a different RKE module would do something different.

Did you resolder the secondary board with the antenna? That's the one that actually receives the RF signal.

Is the secondary board within the RKE module, or is it in a different location?

I'm sure I followed the instructions on the main page for re-soldering. What worrys me is that the module I re-soldered AND the junkyard module with which I haven't touched did the exact same thing when trying to program.

The instructions on the main site used to just say to resolder the chips, but I've found that doesn't work on all of them. Sometimes you have to resolder every single soldered joint. I had to do that with the 94 convertible, but fortunately, it's been working perfectly for 4yrs now.

Well, I have to take the rear seat out again to put the rear 3/4 panel back on, so I think I'm gonna run the RKE module wires into the trunk so I can test the modules without having to take everything apart.