fuel filter help needed immedietly

GrandPrix34

yeah i used the search function and its helped...so far

but now i need some help fast!

i took off the fuel line and got showered wit fuel. Now i need to know how to unhook the damn fuel filter off!! Its corroded and grr.....

You must make sure you relieve the fuel pressure first. The quick way is to remove your fuel cap to relieve fuel pressure.

I'm not sure about your car but this is what I've done on our 1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE. The fuel filter on the OUT side is using a screw type fitting and you must use two open end wrenches to separate it. On the IN side, it is using a quick disconnect connector. Usually you need a quick disconnect tool to remove it but what I have done was just to pinch inside of the quick disconnect connector and pull out the other end. Slide out the fuel filter and install a new fuel filter then note the orientation of the fuel filter. Just push back the quick disconnect connector on the IN side of the fuel filter and the tighten up the screw type fitting on the OUT side of the fuel filter.

On my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, both ends are using screw type fitting and I have to use two open end wrenches to loosen them. Slide out the fuel filter and install a new fuel filter then note the orientation of the fuel filter. Tighten up the screw type fitting on both ends. The IN side should be close to the fuel tank and the OUT side is connected to the line going to the engine.

yes!! Success!! finished it in 30 mins! I still smell like fuel!

damn that was a whole fucking lot of fuel pouring out, i was starting to think that maybe i didnt let the car die out enough or something. Well yeah i forgot to relieve fuel pressure which in the end was wat showered me. While i was changing the filter, i will admit i was getting high wit the fumes of the fuel. :D

and NO i aint a junky or nothing

Heh heh! That reminds me of when I did my fuel filter about two years ago. I had a full tank of fuel and it dripped for a little while. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though. I did manage to break the housing that holds the fuel filter in place, but I don't think that's a big issue. Mine requires two open end wrenches to remove both fittings of the fuel filter.

You must make sure you relieve the fuel pressure first. The quick way is to remove your fuel cap to relieve fuel pressure.

I'm not sure about your car but this is what I've done on our 1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE. The fuel filter on the OUT side is using a screw type fitting and you must use two open end wrenches to separate it. On the IN side, it is using a quick disconnect connector. Usually you need a quick disconnect tool to remove it but what I have done was just to pinch inside of the quick disconnect connector and pull out the other end. Slide out the fuel filter and install a new fuel filter then note the orientation of the fuel filter. Just push back the quick disconnect connector on the IN side of the fuel filter and the tighten up the screw type fitting on the OUT side of the fuel filter.

On my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, both ends are using screw type fitting and I have to use two open end wrenches to loosen them. Slide out the fuel filter and install a new fuel filter then note the orientation of the fuel filter. Tighten up the screw type fitting on both ends. The IN side should be close to the fuel tank and the OUT side is connected to the line going to the engine.

GrandPrix34, that's good to know and it was a success.

91GranSport, my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme was not lucky and I broke the plastic housing that holds the fuel filter in place. I've rigged it for now so it will hold in place but I'll replace that plastic housing with a clamp/strap and see if can just rivet the clamp/strap in place.

i figured there was supposed to be something to hold it up when i got my car it was hanging so the usual fix for everything zipties has been that way for over 25k changed the filter and put new ziptie but whatever works

Next time, plan to replace the filter first thing in the morning, letting the car sit overnight.

By morning the fuel pressure would have relieved itself so that when the fuel lines are disconnected, you'll just get a few drips instead of a shower.

Next time, plan to replace the filter first thing in the morning, letting the car sit overnight.

By morning the fuel pressure would have relieved itself so that when the fuel lines are disconnected, you'll just get a few drips instead of a shower.

Chiltons says to pull the fuel pump fuse and run the car till it dies should relieve the pressure.

If you have a set of ramps back up on them or use jack stands b4 this so that the gas will run toward the engine and leave less fuel in the lines.

well i raised the car a little late. Yeah i used 2 open end wrenches but it was still a bitch cuz of all the rust and corrosion. After the filter was out and empty of fuel, i blew on one end to see how dirty it was. Man little 2 no air was going thru either side of the filter :shock:

You had a plastic housing to hold your fuel filter? That's strange, mine was a metal piece. It broke off, but the fuel filter is still in place and it doesn't move around that much. It was corroded quite a bit so I can see why it broke off. If I have time tomorrow I'm going to take another look at it and check to make sure it's all right. Now that you mentioned securing it with another bracket or rivet, I feel a little nervous. :)

GrandPrix34, that's good to know and it was a success.

91GranSport, my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme was not lucky and I broke the plastic housing that holds the fuel filter in place. I've rigged it for now so it will hold in place but I'll replace that plastic housing with a clamp/strap and see if can just rivet the clamp/strap in place.

Geez, you should replace those puppies every 30,000km or so! I replaced mine about 25,000km ago so I think I should still be okay.

well i raised the car a little late. Yeah i used 2 open end wrenches but it was still a bitch cuz of all the rust and corrosion. After the filter was out and empty of fuel, i blew on one end to see how dirty it was. Man little 2 no air was going thru either side of the filter :shock:

• 4 years later...

This is a great writeup. I'm going to do mine in the next couple days and it looks like the same deal as my 2000. Only thing that worries me is that bracket which holds the filter in place. The one on mine is rusted to hell so the filter will probably be a PITA to get out. :sad:

Oh, and to remove the fuel pressure, you can also depress the shrader valve by the FPR.

I gave it a shot tonight and it's not budging so I'll hit it with PB Blaster and some other kind of penetrating oil for about a week before I try again. The only good thing was that I was able to turn the filter a tiny bit and break it free from the bracket.

Luckily, the nut on the line isn't stripped or anything so it shouldn't be too bad. It actually didn't look that rusty which is weird for 236,000 miles. I don't think the fuel filter has ever been replaced on this car. :eek: :willynilly: :lol:

i dont know about the rest but when i did mine i started the car and unplugged the oil pressure sending unit. When i unplug the fuel pump relay or fuse it still runs off of the oil pressure sending unit

zipties ftw. earlier cars seems to have plastic retainer for the filter, later cars have a metal one. I try to reuse them if I can.

on my 93 vert, the fitting id fused to the line, the filter has to be spun off. :rolleyes: