kuntzie

well so a big part of my engine build up will be a cam. as i can/ we be able to do all my tuning, as well as my lack of care for really good idle and my strong desire for the ponies.... im thinking the compressin suggestion is the only thing that might not be good.. its looking for a lot higher compressio then the motor has stock

like would this cam work o if tuned properly? if so what kind of rockers. ect should i use

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=5&Vehicle_Type=Auto&Cylinders=6&Engine_Make=CHEVROLET&Year=1989&Engine_Size=2.8-3.1%20L&partNumber=251241&partType=camshaft

Umm, well, cam would be a killer cam and would have really nice top end indeed, however, you are using a really high RPM cam with poorly flowing intakes...not really a "great" combination unless you are going to do the lower intake the GOOD way and port all the insides and what not, like Extrude Hone .

You should really have much to worry for the compression part because well, you should be boosting by its "operating range" so technically your compression will be in that range since boost ups it and all. 10.5:1, not really that much, my engine has 9.5:1 without boost at least to start, so yeah, with 12-18 PSI you will be well in the range it calls for.

Your bottom end will most likely end up just like mine, complete turd burglars....I through the cam specs into Dyno 2003 and compared to a STOCK 3.1 and there is definitely a major shift in RPM that power is made.

ok cool....

as for heads and intakes yes i will be getting them done the right way.

really i want this cam for the either

"Oh shit what does that guy got in there"

or (from the ricers)

"oh ya i can beat him it sounds like his car is about to die"

Thats definately not the BEST turbo cam out there, but its not bad. 112lsa does leave a bit to be desired for a turboed car, but thats all my cam has so no big deal. That cam is going to idle VERY rough and for a DD it won't be a very good cam IMO. You also will have basically no power at all until like 4krpm, which might not be a huge deal, but for anything other than the track, I think you will be annoyed. Your powerband will be quite different than it is now and it will be quite a change. Plus, as was also mentioned, with your Gen 2 intakes I'm not sure how well thats gonna work. And, while I don't think it will be a problem, you might want to make sure you don't have any clearance issues. I just don't think you'll really want to spin the engine to 7500+ to get the power you want. The turbo you have isn't big enough for that kind of RPM on your engine...

You'll also want to drop back down to stock ratio rockers instead of your 1.6's, because with 1.6's thats a pretty big cam. Its big enough as it is.

In all honesty, I think I'd go with a cam somewhere in between that cam and my cam. I'd be looking for something with like 225ish duration and 480ish lift. Preferably 114+LSA, but anything over 112 would probably be good. Really the lift on that cam isn't too bad, but duration is definately a bit much. With the turbo thats on your car, I think you'll want your powerband somewhere around 2800-6000ish. Much over 6500 and I think you'll find that you picked a turbo a little too small for your application, the turbo will be fine for lower rpms and the power you're looking for, but once you spin the engine up that high I really don't think its gonna be happy, and your intake setup isn't going to like those rpms much either.

Just my $.02.

One question, how the hell are you going to pass e test? :lol:

Like I said in the other post, custom tuning plus "grape juice" a.k.a Methanol, passing will be no big deal :wink:

On topic, I will actually agree with DB on this one, as the fact that my cam has shit for power under about 2700-3000 RPMs, just driving around town does tend to get pretty annoying just because so much reving or throttle is required to get the big tanks moving, also puts a big chunk in gas mileage around town compared to highway, atleast a 10 MPG difference, mine is about 15 city and 28 highway....

Here is my cam...

http://home.earthlink.net/~z284pwr/beretta/engine_stuff/cam_small.jpg

Like I said, it has shit power under about 2700 but once it hits that mark, its turbo times 2 :eek: and it makes good top-end power with the ported intakes and heads my engine has. When the engine was in a 5spd car before the turbo was put on to starve it on top-end, it would EASILY pull to 6500 and even make it to 7000 if I wanted it to, hell, when the trans used to kick out of gear on the TGP its hit 7000+ now with a turbo that will make decent power after 5300 RPM it would probably pull pretty good.

Honestly though, he is right, the cam is a bit overkill for a turbo engine. The torque you lose on bottom end just for non-strip use will get annoying, it would be better to probably cut back on the cam size, save some bottom end torque for normal driving and still keep the power flowing in the power range that the heads/intakes will flow and make good power at.

Oh and yes, the "its going to die" thing will definitely only work on those that don't have a clue. :lol:

:iamwithstupid:

That cam he has looks to be a fairly good choice for your car. You might want to look for something slightly larger, but that one would definately give you a decent gain. Combined with your 1.6 rockers that would be around .480" lift, but it still leaves a bit to be desired in the duration department.

• 1 month later...

how big/ small of a cam is this?

PART # 16-232-4 GRIND NUMBER: CSV-6 252H-10 ENGINE: CHEV. 60 DEGREE V-6 INTAKE EXHAUST VALVE ADJUSTMENT HYD HYD GROSS VALVE LIFT .425 .425 .006 TAPPET LIFT 252 252 VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSE AT .006 INT 20 BTDC 52 ABDC EXH 60 BBDC 12 ATDC THESE SPECS ARE FOR CAM INSTALLED AT 106 INTAKE CENTER LINE INTAKE EXHAUST DURATION AT .050 206 206 LOBE LIFT .2835 .2835 LOBE SEPARATION 110 THIS CAM SHOULD USE SPRING # 980-12