Fuel Gauge

JH66GP

I recently replaced the fuel pump in my 1990 Regal 3.1, and now the fuel gauge bounces around like a ping pong ball. When I turn the key on the gauge will bounce from empty to full and the finally settles in the middle. Any ideas on this. I don't think I bent the float arm on the sending unit. The only thing I did differently was to replace the pulsator with the piece of fuel line that came with the GM pump. Thanks for the help.

John

• 2 weeks later...

bad sender maybe, pull it back out of the tank and check the slider for the level, if it is too worn or scratched it will not work properly, if this is not the problem something is feeding an unnecessary ground to the gauge in the cluster, is it random or all the time?

If fuel level affects it, it is the sender.

If it happens with EVERY key cycle it is most likely a pinched wire or improper connection.

Fuel guage works directly from ground, so any solid unmoving reading in the middle means resistance to ground

Was the sender keyed to keep the level sensor in the deepest part of the tank?

Did you put the end of the strainer facing away from the level sensor?