Whats the differences between F1,F2,F3 on a 89 cutlass

89oldscutlass

I know stiffer struts and a rear sway bar but what else. I compared my 89 cutlass with my 89 internationals part car and all i can see difference other then my car doesnt have the rear sway bar wich im putting on mine it even has the holes drilled for the sway bar and im not talking about were it bolts on the struts.Any info would be helpful.Thanks guys

I dont really know as much on W bodys more on H body's but its mostly the same idea. On H bodys the FE1 is for soft riding contitions and have lighter springs, stabilizers and struts to match as well as finger tip powersteering. FE3 package was "sport" stiffer springs, larger bars, and struts to match with less assist on steering rack as well as lower rear axil ratio for somewhat faster excelleration plus usually larger wheels and wider lower profile tires. Then there was F41 at least on H body that was all performance but not all suspension componets were heavier. I believe just the rear springs, maybe the front too, it depended on the year.

I agree. different ratio steering rack on the FE3 (more road feel, heavier overall steering) bigger sway bar up front, rear bar, and thats essentially it. The springs may be stiffer but it isnt guaranteed. Got to compare the spring codes for that

Axle ratios are different between the 3.4 DOHC and 2.8/3.1, and I think all Regals got a different final drive (3.01 or something?) and the Turbo GP might have, but FE3 as far as I know didnt get anything special

Yeah, I'd like to find out too! I want to know what I have on my '91 Regal GS. I'm pretty damn sure it would be the "better" or "sportier" suspension though, considering my vehicle is a GranSport, it has GranSport suspension.

what about axel ratio on W body ?

Whats on a Regal GS FE3 or F41 ?

What was the performance model Cutlass ?

Okay, I don't want to change the topic but I must ask this question:

- How do you find out which suspension set up you have?

I know that someone mentioned if you look under your trunk it'll say which suspension you have. But where in the trunk? On the trunk lid itself or on the plastic cover that covers the spare tire?

Front springs are different as well (higher load rate).

Rear springs are a toss up, and I'm not sure how they were selected.

The FE codes are on the Service Parts ID sheet which is usually located on the spare tire cover or under the trunklid.

under trunk mat, on mine its in the first line of codes, 3rd or 4th column. Let me know, you should have FE3 or F41 maybe even.

On most all cars Ive ever know of if spring rate is changed in the front it is in the rear also. This keeps the balance, the factorys do track test these cars before production for ride and handleing characteristics. Suspensions are tuned to each other. Same with stab. bars larger in front = larger in back. Or if none in back when the up graded suspension package cars got rear bar they got heavier front bars. This is why I am a sceptic of these addco big rear bars. If the factory though handling was improved with a few more mm in the rear they would have done it. Why would they compromise the magazine road test results on a "performance" model if a larger rear bar made a car they extensively track tested corner better ?

The FE codes are on the Service Parts ID sheet which is usually located on the spare tire cover or under the trunklid.

Why dosn't my car have any FE codes? I looked this morning.

Gimp19, If your Supreme is really a base model you can pretty much count on it being an FE1 suspension. My 91 Regal custum is FE1. Most of the limiteds are too I think (Grampa needs a smooth ride).

After driving my Sis's 95 Gand Am GT I'm glad mine's FE1. All I want is a front STB and lowering springs to balance out the rear level better.

My ID# was on the underside the spare tire lid.

For some odd reason '88 Cutlass didnt get any FE codes for suspension. I'm sure there could be a code but noone knows yet.

Also the 88-89 cars probably handled the best, stock, versus any other years W-body. I think the 88 Regal did the best on the skidpad, like .77 if I remember right?

vegeta's joke couldnt have been put any better. my car seriously handles like a sitck of butter on a hot plate. i have no idea what to do to make it any better and i guarantee it wont be cheap

For some odd reason '88 Cutlass didnt get any FE codes for suspension. I'm sure there could be a code but noone knows yet.

Penny's '88 has FE3.

Get new struts and put in the rear swaybar and you'll see a heck of a difference. Most 88's got very stiff springs

Yeah that would help cause right now I dont got a very smooth ride or very good handling in turns. I know bigger wheels would help too but first I'm gonna see how much improvment new struts will give me.

Where can I get a rear swaybar, is it easy to but on?

Penny's '88 has FE3.

Hmm, maybe the early 88's didnt have them? When was hers built? Unless maybe they had FE3 but no designation for the base one

Penny's '88 has FE3.

Hmm, maybe the early 88's didnt have them? When was hers built? Unless maybe they had FE3 but no designation for the base one

I think hers may have been a later '88, built in Feb if I remember right.

The sticker in the doorjamb seems to have been rubbed off. It's dull and has no more printing on it. I guess all the printing was on the shiny laminated layer and that's gone now. :?

Thanks Shawn!

Good stuff guys, now I'm going to go outside and check to see what the hell I've got on my car. Be back in a couple of minutes...

Found it! Thanks a lot guys! After searching and searching and searching I found it! The Service Parts Identification is on my spare tire cover, which I have right beside me. Also, the stupid idiots at the factory who put the sticker on didn't put it on right, there's a wrinkle in the sticker right where the "F" codes are.

Anyways, it's FE3 for me! Thanks for your help guys! Yes! FE3! GranSport suspension baby! Now it's time for me to replace the Goddamn shocks!