OK! WTF!!!???

gmrulz4u

This is concering my 2.8L engine in my 89 Supreme.

Now, does this engine actually HAVE a freakin' PCV Valve or is it just a plastic tube/hose that connects to the valve cover and the air intake? The reason I ask is because today I pulled out the hose thing, pictured below...

underhood.JPG

And there was NOTHING in the hose OR the valve cover!!?? I saw nothing at all that resembled any valve spring etc...There was absolutely NOTHING!? The black hose/tube was just completely hollow all the way to the air intake connection...

So, I believe I'm looking in the right place, and am just assuming for whatever reason my car was running without a PCV Valve...

Am I correct??

THANKS!:)

check UNDER the plenum, if Im not mistaken. That tube just lets clean air enter the crank case, then it is circulated back into the plenum with blow by gasses. I dont think there is an actual valve

Robby

The rubber plug in the valve cover. IIRC, it's not an active system(closes & opens) but it's passive, and just connected to the intake.

If you're saying the PCV Valve is just that round peice of rubber that's plugged into the valve cover, how the hell could it ever go bad??

I'm getting more and more confused!!

check UNDER the plenum, if Im not mistaken. That tube just lets clean air enter the crank case, then it is circulated back into the plenum with blow by gasses. I dont think there is an actual valve

Robby

Sorry, I edited that like 3 times, so Im reposting it down here

Robby

I think the PCV is on the back Valve Cover and not the front. You have to tilt the engine like replacing the 3 spark plugs at the back. I'll get the picture if I have time.

The rubber plug in the valve cover. IIRC, it's not an active system(closes & opens) but it's passive, and just connected to the intake.

If you're saying the PCV Valve is just that round peice of rubber that's plugged into the valve cover, how the hell could it ever go bad??

I'm getting more and more confused!!

If it's on a GM vehicle it can, and usually does go bad :mrgreen:

I think the PCV is on the back Valve Cover and not the front. You have to tilt the engine like replacing the 3 spark plugs at the back. I'll get the picture if I have time.

BINGO, just get on the drivers side of the car at the back of the engine bay and you should be able to feel around right near the bottom of the intake plenum and feel a rubber hose there that attaches to the PCV valve, chances are the rubber hose might need replacing also, it goes from the PCV valve itself to a little "nipple" up under the intake plenum. Hope this helps, and don't feel bad, you're not the first one to make a post like this. :D

Yeah, thanks!:) I actually have those pics myself, via alldatadiy.com, but those pictures are almost MORE confusing than the retarded-ass Haynes Manual when it comes to the PCV Valve!

For example, look at the picture that shows images of the engine...how come the image on the left has an arrow stating FRT(front) pointing to the REAR of the engine? That image makes you think that the PCV Valve is located in the FRONT valve cover...

Does that make sense?:)

Hmmm, that pic looks familiar. :lol:

PCV is on the rear valve cover, under that oversized plenum.

Sometimes you can tilt the engine and wrestle the PCV out, but sometimes I've found you have to pull the plenum!

Yeah, the arrow points to the wrong direction. I'm editing the image to point to the right direction.

I got it from my Popular Mechanics Automotive Repair Manual. :)