another new project....

Green97SL

pulled a overhead console from a late model blazer today- has a compass and temp display in the forward part. the cloth on it is actually the exact color/type on my headliner. anyways, it has 1 screw up front, and 2 near the back end. do you guys think the headliner would support the weght? :idea: i was planning on slipping 2 strips of aluminum into the headliner and attaching it in the 3 original locations. as far as wiring goes, i've read up a little on it, i'll just need to wire up a temp sensor in front of the radiator, tap into the VSS (to correct the temperature?) and the illumination/power wires of course. made sure to get as much of the harness as i could too :)

It will bounce around for every tiny bump on the road unless you securely anchor it to the metal roof. There are already locations in the roof for an overhead console, if the Blazer one doesn't match up, you can always attach a piece of sheetmetal by anchoring to the stock locations, and then anchoring the Blazer console to this piece of sheetmetal.

i bought some loc-tite metal/masonry epoxy at home depot- i will mill some mounting blocks or have some bent, epoxy them to the roof (sheet metal) and then bolt the console to that.

one other thing- what are the common wiring colors for this type of stuff? the electronic compass/outside temp unit has the following wires:

black with white stripe: ground

yellow: positive (switched)

gray- dimmer?

green with black stripe: to temp sensor on rad support bracket?

dark green: ?

brown: ?

Brown is also usually dim as well, one is for the backlight bulb dim input, the other is the digital display dim.

If you don't have to make mounting blocks, then don't. There is a nice thick crossmember going across the roof from front to back that you can drive shallow screws into, same with above the windshield, and even across the roof left to right there's a bracket, though it's very shallow. Good luck, and Im interested in how the end product looks.