Another Brake light question Re: nite shades screw up

CSI_MuNkY

I'm looking for some light bulbs. Long story short I went a WEE bit dark with the nite shades and during the day the lights are kinda tough to make out (signals and back up lights are fine, just the break lights are kinda dim when I'm not on the brake pedal) At night they are great though. And just so everyone knows, I'm not driving with these lights on the car... I still have my old lights on the car...

I'm wondering if maybe there is a brighter alternative to the 3057 bulbs I have in the car (just regular bulbs) I'm wondering if maybe a super bright white bulb would work if I can get it in that size. I don't think LEDs are an option, I tried them before and every time I turned the lights on the fuse went... so unless somone can help me with that, LEDs are out, which is a shame, cause I think they would fix my problem. My brother mentioned something about LEDs drawing more current so I could be triggering a short that the regular bulbs don't trigger. But I understand so little about electrical its not funny. (it was explained to me on another board that LEDs actually draw less current, so now I'm confused even more)

Thanx

Jamie

You can try 3457's. They are 25% brighter.

LEDs draw much, much less current. The fuse probably blew because of a design flaw in the LED bulb. Some companies may take shortcuts with how they wire them. LEDs wouldn't solve anything, they are super dim and only put a tiny bright spot of light on the lens. You would have to make a custom LED matrix to get any decent light output out of them.

You would have to make a custom LED matrix to get any decent light output out of them.

Thats not an option, lol... Maybe I will look into these 3457s

Can't you remove the Night Shades with some paint thinner or mineral spirit's and just redo it?

Thats my last option, I would like to avoid buying more of the stuff, its hard to find locally...

Jamie

Thats my last option, I would like to avoid buying more of the stuff, its hard to find locally...

There were some low-budget Nite Shades alternatives posted in the Appearance section if you should have to go this route.

I think firefighter posted something about a Krylon version you can get at Wal-Mart.

yeah, Krylon Crystal color. It works alright, although mine turned out different because of how I did things. Mine turned out with more of a plasticy finish instead of smooth, but that's beause i think I did the first coat or two too heavy. I like it though, but I wouldnt want it for my brake lights, which is why i havent done them with this stuff yet. That, and I don't want to screw up a pair of taillights that I can't find a replacement for

I wasn't able to find the Krylon stuff, I checked every walmart and canadian tire in London :cry:

I just ordered some Xenon bulbs, so they should be in tomorrow morning, I think that should do the trick, if not the place I ordered them from is generally really good with their return policy...

Jamie