fix-it ticket help

FordBoy

Ok I was driven through ripon with a cop following me for a mile-1 1/2miles finally he fips on the lights. He tells me that only my thrid brakes light is working until i hit the turn signal than they all work fine. I have till the 2nd to fix it or find teh problem and tell him i dont have the money yet. Any ideas? Im desperate! :dunno:

Take off your steering wheel and purple? plastic thing for your horn and any steering wheel controls. You should see the turn signal switch once you pull off the steering column shroud closest to you. pry it apart, not losing the spring and ball that will fly out. lightly bend the 6? contacts to give them a little more tension against the back part that's still in your column. Coat everything with dielectric grease and reassemble, test the switch before you put the wheel back on though. I've fixed almost every W I've owned like that, you'll be good for years to come.

Take off your steering wheel and purple? plastic thing for your horn and any steering wheel controls. You should see the turn signal switch once you pull off the steering column shroud closest to you. pry it apart, not losing the spring and ball that will fly out. lightly bend the 6? contacts to give them a little more tension against the back part that's still in your column. Coat everything with dielectric grease and reassemble, test the switch before you put the wheel back on though. I've fixed almost every W I've owned like that, you'll be good for years to come.

Exactly. If you want to get by quickly, see if the brake lights come on if you pull the signal stalk towards you (as if you were about to turn on the hi-beams) then just show the cops that it "works". But pulling off the steering wheel, fixing the contacts on the signal switch is a very easy job. Even if you just sprayed the switch contacts with an electrical cleaner, then put in fresh dielectric grease, that MIGHT fix it enough to work. I have pics that I can post tonight showing what you'll need to look for.

? why are you being an asshole?

How is he an asshole? No where in this thread did it say what he drives. He has a Mustang in his sig. Hell, I've been here for a while and I never knew what he drove until he just posted it

Yep I did the double take on what car it was and until the 2nd post didnt know. How is this even w-body related and not in whatever forum?

How is this even w-body related and not in whatever forum?

Because he drive's a Cutlass and his brake lights aren't working.

That was an after the fact quote based on the original statement. Try reading through the posts.

How is this even w-body related and not in whatever forum?

Because he drive's a Cutlass and his brake lights aren't working.

That was an after the fact quote based on the original statement. Try reading through the posts.

I did, that's why I didn't understand why you were asking that question.

My brights dont work either would the rod for teh swich have come off at the signal swich of ferther down.

could be

if the mutifunction switch feels like it is pushing on nothing, the rod has fallen off, if it feels like it is still pushing, then the switch near the base of the column is probably out of adjustment. And I consider it an easy fix.

any further word on the non-fuctioning brake lights?

? why are you being an asshole?

How is he an asshole? No where in this thread did it say what he drives. He has a Mustang in his sig. Hell, I've been here for a while and I never knew what he drove until he just posted it

Yep I did the double take on what car it was and until the 2nd post didnt know. How is this even w-body related and not in whatever forum?

well i saw in another thread he said he owned a w body as well thats the reason he was here in the first place, then he was talking about signal problems and brake lights, sounded just like a wbody issue to me, so when i saw the second post it looked like to me somone being an ass when hes asking a legit question...

also read his sig

As for the high beams, on my first '89 I had a hard time switching between low and high unless I had my tilt wheel in the farthest upward spot. Might try that, if it works then it's just an adjustment issue.

As for the high beams, on my first '89 I had a hard time switching between low and high unless I had my tilt wheel in the farthest upward spot. Might try that, if it works then it's just an adjustment issue.

x2

The tilt is always up but the swich is free its like pulling on nothein. By the way what would a rough guess be for a price new/used on that swich my mechanic/former boss told me the samething is the problem. He said a 15-25min. job.

to replace it is a little more than 15-25 mins. Without looking it up, would probably be 1-1.5 hrs labor plus the switch usually runs about $80 retail, assuming you don't have steering-wheel radio controls.

you can always get it a little cheaper online :lol: but yeah grab a junkyard one, if you get it from a u-pull it yard you can learn about how to do the job yourself. Not really that hard, just need a good back (for under the dash work) and patience when routing the wiring down the column.