Blowing brake light fuse

mike95gp

I have a 1995 Grand Prix GTP and for the past month or so it keeps blowing the brake light fuse. It doesn't do it right away sometimes it last for a couple days, sometimes a week, but recently it doesn't last more than 20 minutes. So far I checked all of these parts:

I unpluged the turn signal switch had brake lights, but still blew the fuse.

Took out the brake light switches above the pedal they looked fine.

Checked the wiring underneath the dash and that looked good.

Took apart my trunk and looked at the wiring there and that looked good.

Took out my glove box and checked the wires going into the fuse block that looked good.

Ripped up my carpet on the passenger side and inspected the wires running to the brake lights.

Unplugged my 3rd brake light on the spoiler thinking maybe the wiring there is shorting or the socket for the bulb, but it still blew.

I'm about to drive this car into a pole. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there any problem areas to look for in the wiring? Can the switches for the brakes be bad and not look bad?

Any help would be appreciated

Mike

My parents love the stealership, and paid well over 500 to get this exact problem fixed. It was some brake wiring under the dash near the steering collum that cut through the insulation and shorted out on a metal bracket. I'm not sure of its exact whereabouts, but its somewhere under the dash near the steering collum

Did you recently change a brake lamp or parking light lamp? You need to be absolutely sure you used the proper lamp (ie replace a dual filament lamp with the proper dual filament lamp, never use a single in place of a dual and vice-versa.)

I knew a guy once who put a single filament lamp in place of a dual and it caused a whole bunch of havoc on the car's electrical system. The one thing I remember it doing was the radio cutting out whenever he'd put on his right turn signal.

Could be worth a look. Check your owner's manual to find the proper lamp # and be sure you have those lamps installed...

I'm using the correct fuse a 15 amp and no bulbs have been replaced since I owned the car.

Today it was fine to work and back until I pulled up to my apartment, which there is a big bump out in the parking lot and then it blew. I'm going to pull a tail-light harness from a junked grand prix and see if that clears it up. If that doesn't work I'll try running some new wires from the brake switch to the turn signal switch. Any other ideas from anybody?

Thanks for your help

Well after replacing the harness in the back it was still blowing fuses so I decided to run a new brake light wire from the switch to the back. Works like a charm now. Thanks for all your help.