Single DIN Mini Navi

GnatGoSplat

It was a boring, rainy Sunday afternoon so I decided to kill some time playing with an older Alpine navigation I bought from eBay. I had a crazy idea that it could be used with my JVC KD-AVX2. It's just single DIN so it could fit easily into a W-body without mods. It wouldn't cost a lot, and would look clean (I don't like popout screens). I figured since we don't go far in the W's, an old CD-ROM based system would be good enough. It's not real practical, you'd need a magnifying glass to read anything on the tiny 3" screen so I probably won't actually put this in a car, but it does look kind of cool so I thought I'd share.

Pic of navi on a JVC KD-AVX2's tiny 3" screen with no flash.

IMG_0697.jpg

Pic of the same thing with flash. The AVX2 is glossy so there's a lot of glare and reflection.

IMG_0703.jpg

The Alpine NVA-N751AS navi computer. Yeah, my "test bench" is the floor.

IMG_0702.jpg

Thoughts?

Wait, so you wired the brain box for the Alpine Nav to the X2?

Sort of... the X2 is only being used as a monitor. I found a composite video output on the Alpine navi and connected it to the X2's RCA input via alligator clip. The navi remote is required to control it, but it doesn't have an IR sensor so I hooked up an IR sensor I had sitting around (again, with alligator clips).

It's possible with the X2 to toggle between audio and navi display by using the navi unit's "NAVI ON" output to the X2's reverse camera input. This way the map can also be displayed without interrupting the audio.

Wait, so you wired the brain box for the Alpine Nav to the X2?

Sort of... the X2 is only being used as a monitor. I found a composite video output on the Alpine navi and connected it to the X2's RCA input via alligator clip. The navi remote is required to control it, but it doesn't have an IR sensor so I hooked up an IR sensor I had sitting around (again, with alligator clips).

It's possible with the X2 to toggle between audio and navi display by using the navi unit's "NAVI ON" output to the X2's reverse camera input. This way the map can also be displayed without interrupting the audio.

Yeah, thats what I meant. Seems like a pain though for what it's worth. Doesn't JVC make a nav system for the X2? I bet it is an expensive add on, if so.

Yeah, thats what I meant. Seems like a pain though for what it's worth. Doesn't JVC make a nav system for the X2? I bet it is an expensive add on, if so.

Yeah, I guess it could be a pain, but it's fun. :lol:

Nope, JVC doesn't make a navi add-on for any of their HU's.

Yeah, I guess it could be a pain, but it's fun. :lol:

Nope, JVC doesn't make a navi add-on for any of their HU's.

Wow, thats really suprising that they don't.

Oh well, I still want that X2 of yours. With my employee price, I get it for $377. Still too many penny's for my college wallet.