new windshield does ti matter what i get?

Singh

I am going to buy a new windshiled this winter because i have a crack on the passenger side that has noticeably gotten bigger since i have been driving the car last month. I just read a topic about HUD's and such and now it make sme wonder if i get a new windshield is my hud gonna be screwed? is there a certin type of windshield to look for or?

the windshied on my cutlass was replaced with a non-HUD windshield, and there is very minimal ghosting at night. Other than that, its fine. I kind of want to have a rock take out my windshield so that I can use my glass coverage and make the insurace company put in a HUD windshield. :razz:

read the FAQ hud thread. or better yet... the only difference, isa HUD windshield (OEM) is optically verified for good ghosting, nothing else!!!!!!!!! no special #$%@&$ or anything. purchasing a HUD windshiled would guarentee an acceptable wihdshiled, at least with an OEM.

I know your FSM said that, but I fail to believe it.

The HUD display on an "official" windshield is much smaller and much easier to read. The HUD display on a non-HUD windsheild is large and difficult to see during the day. Regardless of what you've read, I'm convinced there's a real difference beween the two windshields.

The HUD display on an "official" windshield is much smaller and much easier to read. The HUD display on a non-HUD windsheild is large and difficult to see during the day. Regardless of what you've read, I'm convinced there's a real difference beween the two windshields.

The windshield in my '89 was a replacement, but it has properties of a HUD windshield. The HUD display is crisper, sharper, and also noticeably smaller than the HUD display in the 94. I forget what brand of windshield it is, but the manufacturer logo and info is in the bottom center of the windshield instead of on the bottom corner like the one it replaced.

If I think of it, I'll take a look at who made it. It might be a good 2nd choice if a HUD certified windshield is unavailable.

tewo of my FSMs say that, and i believe it.

may I ask what car (year and gen) you base your official comparison on?

dig this. compare the logo, and all the service part numbers on an OEM HUD and OEM non-HUD windshield. what do you get? I seriously don't know but I need to. I could hit a stealership to look at the new cars to see what this results in.

With Regard to the HUD windshield on a GEN 1 W-body, the HUD window notification is a sticker stuck on the center bottom inside of the windshield. AGAIN this applies to the GEN 1 cars. I CANNOT speak for GEN 2 cars at this time. there is no special coding visible elsewhere.

And

The windshield in my '89 was a replacement, but it has properties of a HUD windshield. The HUD display is crisper, sharper, and also noticeably smaller than the HUD display in the 94.

The 89 and 94 have different HUDs, because the image size may vary, your comparision is not valid, sorry Gnat!

And

The windshield in my '89 was a replacement, but it has properties of a HUD windshield. The HUD display is crisper, sharper, and also noticeably smaller than the HUD display in the 94.

The 89 and 94 have different HUDs, because the image size may vary, your comparision is not valid, sorry Gnat!

Nope, sorry Ken, but I have a 94 HUD in my 89 so there! :nana:

I did look and my 89 with the clearer replacement windshield is a PPG. The 94 and TGP (whose HUD also ghosts a bit) both have FLO-LITE windshields.

may I ask what car (year and gen) you base your official comparison on?

A 1991 Cutlass Supreme HUD vs. a 1992 Grand Prix HUD. Internals are nearly 100% identical, yet the image on the true factory HUD windshield (GP) was small, crisp, bright, and clear. The image on my Cutlass' glass is large and somewhat distorted. It's also nowhere near as bright during the day.

Nope, sorry Ken, but I have a 94 HUD in my 89 so there! :nana

touche!

I did look and my 89 with the clearer replacement windshield is a PPG. The 94 and TGP (whose HUD also ghosts a bit) both have FLO-LITE windshields.

my cars all have PPG IIRC keep in mind this may still be an apple to oranges comparison... since we have different window manufacturers.

A 1991 Cutlass Supreme HUD vs. a 1992 Grand Prix HUD. Internals are nearly 100% identical, yet the image on the true factory HUD windshield (GP) was small, crisp, bright, and clear. The image on my Cutlass' glass is large and somewhat distorted. It's also nowhere near as bright during the day.

the internals are actual the same, only the contorl switch and casing are different. can you tell me what make your windshilds are?

I thin the PPG may be a better windshield for HUD applications.

WHAT WAS OEM? just PPG, or are there more than one OEM installed windshild brand?

I thin the PPG may be a better windshield for HUD applications.

WHAT WAS OEM? just PPG, or are there more than one OEM installed windshild brand?

I think FLO-LITE was OEM. Although I can't say for sure the windshields are original, every other W-body I've seen has a FLO-LITE windshield. My 89 has a PPG only because I had the original FLO-LITE replaced due to a really big crack all the way across it. I think FLO-LITE may have made the HUD approved windshields too. I thought I remembered someone taking a photo of one, and the logo and all was the same, but it said "HUD" very small at the bottom.

I don't know what the difference is between a HUD and non-HUD windshield, but perhaps it's just something simple like they're more finely polished.

Doesn't really have much to do with the topic, but my '92 Toronado's heated windsheild was a FLO-LITE, with the badge in the middle. So I assume they did some OEM work for GM.

But the '92 GTP I got my hud from was a PPG. As was my '94 CS.