Pioneer Speakers

PJB

Are Pioneer speakers any good?

I found some 120 watt 5 1/4" and some 220 watt 6x9" speakers at Walmart for decent prices ($40 for the 5.25's and $60? for the 6x9's).

If I get those, will they sound ok and mount correctly?

Or will I have to modify the way they mount (especially the door speakers)? I really dont want to modify anything.

Pioneer speakers aren't that great.

I have 2 different Pioneer 6x9's, and the good thing is that Pioneer puts the frequency response graph right on the box. It's nowhere near flat, there are peaks and valleys all throughout the frequency response.

If "adequate" is all you're looking for, they may be a good buy though.

I've never been to fond of pioneer's speakers.. None of their speakers I've heard have sounded good to my ears.

The stock 6x9's in my TGP are amazing for stockers. Their actual factory 2 way speakers (have a seperate tweeter aside from the standard dualcone setup).. Their clean sounding, and can take quite a beating from my pioneer headunit before they show signs of strain. They have me impressed, that's for sure.

(the stock 4x6's are also 2 ways)

I have heard alot of good things about pioneers, I have never owned or heard any though. When I was looking for 6x9's alot of people recomended TSA6985 Pioneers but Circuit City and Sears were sold out of them. So I got KENWOOD KFC6906S instead and I think they sound pretty good I have also heard good things about Polk speakers. One brand I would stay away from speaker wise is Sony.

Poineers are very good. I had a set of the normal 6x9s, and no problems. Replaced them with Kenwwods after a while (3 way). This was in my ciera though. The ones in my Supreme are amazing (the upgraded package)

Jon

well if the price is good it will be a definite improvement over stock, however, pioneers are not that great. In actuality they sound darn awful compared to higher end stuff like alpines, memphis or jl.

I agree in car-audio you get what you pay for. Brands i reccomend staying away from are: Blapunkt, Jensen, Sony(CD Decks). and of course no-name store brands.

Sony Kenwood(used to be the best) and Pioneer are semi decent if its what you can afford. At any rate the pioneers should provide much better sound quality and performance than your stock speakers.

If you're serious into car audio, you might consider ditching the idea of 6x9's entirely and making a custom plate to fit 6-1/2 components.

Oval speaker cones distort worse than round ones, which is why you don't find oval speakers in home audio equipment.

hopefully by the end of the summer ill be able to do the same! I want to get two amps for my front and back speakers and a new amp for my sub. Any suggestions for a good mono/bridgeable amp at 300watts for around $200-250???

If you're serious into car audio, you might consider ditching the idea of 6x9's entirely and making a custom plate to fit 6-1/2 components.

Oval speaker cones distort worse than round ones, which is why you don't find oval speakers in home audio equipment.

It depends on the cone material too. the reason I like 6x9s is the total surface area of the cone is larger thus moving more air. A good set of speakers will not distort until they get to the volume which you can no longer stand being inside the car :D If I could do it Id actually stick another pair of 6x9s in my front door panels.

Component speakers are the superb way to go but be prepared to pay lots of $$$

PS ovals do just fine in home audio. The reason is that the wattage and power loads running to each speaker is usually about a third that of a car. The acousitcs of a home and stationary sound sources does not require the speaker to be as powerful.

To thoes who say that the "Poineer" speakers are not great. I say, listen to a set of Pioneer premier. That is what i have. I chose them over Infinity Kappa's if that says anything. I also have pioneer premier 12's. they out pounded my buddies 4 MTX subs. They sound clear and crips and don't have allot of distortion at high volume levels.

I also am running a Alpine V12 Amp (50x4) to my PP 6x9's and stock 5 1/4" fronts and it sounds awsome. Then i have 2 "Crunch" amps ~250x1ea pushing my PP 12's.

BTW, Polk audio is good as well.

Shane

are the priemer series the speakers with the braided polyplastic stuff(donno what they call it) cones??? They are supposed to be pretty darn good. The guy i bought my 6x9 also showed them to me but he reccomended the ones I ended up buying as a better value. Those yellow pioneers look/sound pretty good though. What I really hate about pioneer is thier decks. They all have the worst ergonic designs ive ever seen. Thier fugly too.

It depends on the cone material too. the reason I like 6x9s is the total surface area of the cone is larger thus moving more air. A good set of speakers will not distort until they get to the volume which you can no longer stand being inside the car :D If I could do it Id actually stick another pair of 6x9s in my front door panels.

That's true, 6x9's do have a larger cone area and reproduce bass better than 6.5" speakers. However, it doesn't take much for an oval speaker to distort - not necessarily clipping type distortion that I'm talking about (the farty sound of overdriven speakers or amps), but the bass that they reproduce isn't accurate to the source. It's always better to use round drivers where you can afford the space.

PS ovals do just fine in home audio. The reason is that the wattage and power loads running to each speaker is usually about a third that of a car. The acousitcs of a home and stationary sound sources does not require the speaker to be as powerful.

I disagree, you will never find oval speakers in home audio except in instances where it's okay to compromise sound quality for space savings. That's why you only find oval speakers in clock radios and TV's. You will never find oval drivers in hi-fi speakers simply because there's no need to make such space vs. sound quality compromises. When I say oval speakers distort the sound, I don't mean clipping/overdriven type distortion, but just that the lower frequencies aren't accurately reproduced.

I had pioneer all the way around in my car. Sounded like pure ass. Go Eclipse.. :)

The best speakers are the ones you don't hear about much, like Dynaudio, KEF KAR, Focal Audiomobile, AVI, etc. That's the kind of stuff I wanted when I was serious about car audio but had no money. Now I have more money, but I'm not so serious about car audio anymore.

ok now i understand what your saying. Ive never noticed a hurrendous difference but 6x9s produce a bit looser of bass and arent nearly acurrate in high powerd low frequencies. What you loose in tight bass you gain in lower freq. volume. But thats where you cross them over and send the bass to a sub. And we all know you'd be hard pressed to find an oval subwoofer :D In general unless youre a complete audiophile it wont make to big a difference.

I definately agree that the better speakers are the brands youve never heard of. The companies that build studio speakers and focus on sound reproduction instead of marketing and asthetics. I swear the attitude (especially with sony) is lets make it look cool and then see if we can make it sound decent.

are the priemer series the speakers with the braided polyplastic stuff(donno what they call it) cones??? They are supposed to be pretty darn good. The guy i bought my 6x9 also showed them to me but he reccomended the ones I ended up buying as a better value. Those yellow pioneers look/sound pretty good though. What I really hate about pioneer is thier decks. They all have the worst ergonic designs ive ever seen. Thier fugly too.

Yeah the PP have a Pollypropline (SP?) cone w/ a rubber sorround. distortion comes in when the cone flexes. Thats why paper cones get so Fuked up from playing loud and distort. And that is also why "ECLIPSE" subs sound so crisp, they have a Alluminum or titanium cone (can't remember which). And it is also why a ovel speaker distorst easier then a round one. the shape allows the cone to flex easier.

my 6x9's:

3-Way Magnesium-Aluminum Alloy 3-Dimensional Cone Woofer

2-1/4" Balanced Dome Titanium Midrange

½" Dome Tweeter

Triangular-Design Butyl Rubber Surround

300 Watts Max.

tse6995.jpg

my subs:

Nickel-Coated Foamed IMPP (Injection Molded Polypropylene) Rigilite™ Composite Cone Woofer with Spin Finish

Cone-Integrated Conical Domes for High Cone Rigidity

One-Piece Cone Construction for Reduced Distortion

Butyl Rubber Surround

Direct-to-Cone Voice Coil Mounting Ring (Patent Pending)

Conex Damper with Damper Ring

Lead Wires Integrated into Damper for High Reliability and Improved Power Transfer

Large Diameter (2-5/8"), Long Throw Voice Coil

Oversized Glass-Imide Voice Coil Bobbin

Projected Pole Yoke with Vented Pole

High-Energy Strontium Magnet with Bumped Back Plate

Anti-Resonant Basket Design

Large Gold-Plated Binding Posts

Low-Q Design for use in Extremely Small Sealed Box (1.1 cubic foot recommended)

ts-w1240c.jpg

well those werent the ones i was lookin at but those LOOK pretty cool. The ones i was talkin about are bright yellow and have a braided fiber cone that is hardened in some sort of resin.

well those werent the ones i was lookin at but those LOOK pretty cool. The ones i was talkin about are bright yellow and have a braided fiber cone that is hardened in some sort of resin.

I got these in 1999. I run them hard all the time. never a single problem and they sound Awsome. Subs POUND HARD and mids are clear and crips.

Shane

The thing is that I really dont want to spend alot of money on speakers.

I plan on putting a cd player in and an amp (I have a Jensen 300 watt) and 2 12" subs in the trunk, so I'll have more than just speakers.

I dont have the upgraded speakers (2 separate ones in the doors).

My experience is that a cd player will make the factory speakers sound like shit. Thats what happened in the '93 S10 I had.

I had Kenwoods in that truck and after awhile they sounded shitty too. They were decent ones I got at a car stereo place.