Pioneer HU In 04 impala

losman7

I just got a pioneer deh-p3800mp installed in my 04 impala. Im still using the stock speakers and stock amp with it, everything works fine, i was wondering if it would be better of to bypass the stock amp and just run the speakers of the hu? I asked the guy where i got it installed and he said its better to still use the stock amp. The amp does get really hot, i was just worried about blowing the stock amp seeing that the pioneer radio is more powerfull than it. eventually i am going to replace all the speakers.

I wouldnt worry about anything. Some amps ( especially if you live down south where its warm ) get VERY hot. I mean hot enough where you cannot touch them, but they still work. How efficient I dont know. Keep it the way it is. Just replace/upgrade your speakers when you feel the need to.

Leave it the way it is, unless of course you plan on adding an aftermarket amp to drive a set of separates :wink: .

I've gone the same route as you in my Impy (Pio DEH-P7600,) and there's no way in hell I believe the Pioneer HU will drive the stock speakers better than the stock amp does. The stock amp and speakers are pretty damn impressive for a stock offering, if you ask me (of course there's room for improvement, but again, for stock it's not too shabby.)

BTW, what did you do for a chime module?

You won't hurt the stock amp driving it with the Pioneer. The Pioneer isn't going to sending any power into the amp. Most likely, the sound is piped into the stock amp via preouts.

HU built-in amps are usually just a single chip amplfier, chances are the stock amp uses discrete transistors and puts out more real watts RMS.

Thanks for the info. DiscoStudd, i used the GMRC-01 interface

Cool, so did I :thumb: I just found out that they sell a module that will play the chime through the left front speaker (just like the stock radio) instead of using a self-contained chime like the GMRC-01.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=gmrc-02

It's called, what else, the GMRC-02...

My car has a factory amp located behind the dash to drive the boston acoustics speakers... unfortunately, it uses a proprietary link between the HU and the amp as a turn on lead. Aftermarket HUs don't send the appropriate signal, so I was forced to bypass. I think it sounds better with my pioneer HU driving the speakers directly than the stock HU driving the speakers through the factory amp. Of course if I had the option of using my pioneer with the factory amp, I'm sure that would've been the best.

Proprietary link on an 89 Regal? Or you talking about another car?

sorry, on my charger....

I actually don't have the regal anymore, I've just been to lasy to change my sig or avatar... :lol:

I have that same unit, Pioneer DEHP3800 in my Volvo. I also was forced to use the stock amp. It does pretty well, but I dont think the head unit would power the stock 11 speaker sound system.

Thanks for the info. DiscoStudd, i used the GMRC-01 interface

Cool, so did I :thumb: I just found out that they sell a module that will play the chime through the left front speaker (just like the stock radio) instead of using a self-contained chime like the GMRC-01.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=gmrc-02

It's called, what else, the GMRC-02...

We use this harness at work: http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCODCGM09