Quick Question On Replacing Shocks

91GranSport

I'm planning to replace my struts/shocks at all four corners. I just want to know, should I purchase new strut/shock boots? Should I also purchase new strut/shock mounts? I have to replace the strut bearings up front because I have "memory steer". I am planning to purchase the KYB GR-2s from The Tire Rack but they're just the struts and shocks only, everything else is extra. I just want to know if I can get away with installing new shocks while using the existing boots and mounts. Thanks.

Yes, you can get away with reusing the old hardware, but check the condition of the upper strut mounts carefully, especially the rear. The rear upper mounts tend to collect water/road salt and rust out if you live in a Northern state.

If your hard plastic boots on the rear have fallen, then you'll need to buy a jounce bumper kit. I like the Monroe kit, as it comes with jounce bumpers and extremely lightweight rubber boots which I doubt will ever have a problem with falling down. Only thing is the top part of the jounce bumper is visible yellow through the wheel well.

I installed new AC Delco struts on the back of my cutlass, they came with upper mounts and soft rubber offroad type boots. They're really cheap, $50 a piece. I just need the front ones now. Moral of the story, see if Delco sells just the rubber boots, they're way better than any plastic junk.

Thanks for your help Shawn. I live in Vancouver so we don't get a lot of road salt and stuff like that. It does rain a lot though. I'll be sure to check those when I replace the struts/shocks. The hard plastic boots on the rears are still there, and I think I can keep them. I inspected them yesterday when the vehicle was up off the ground and the tires off. They look okay, and there are no signs of leakage. The ride is too mushy though, time for some KYB GR-2s. Thanks again!

Yes, you can get away with reusing the old hardware, but check the condition of the upper strut mounts carefully, especially the rear. The rear upper mounts tend to collect water/road salt and rust out if you live in a Northern state.

If your hard plastic boots on the rear have fallen, then you'll need to buy a jounce bumper kit. I like the Monroe kit, as it comes with jounce bumpers and extremely lightweight rubber boots which I doubt will ever have a problem with falling down. Only thing is the top part of the jounce bumper is visible yellow through the wheel well.

KYB has rear boots, they are a combo of the bumper and an accordian style boot that gets zip-tied to the strut housing. Chances are your front boot is still plenty good.

Front mount, unbolt the top cover plat and see if the mount fits loosely or tightly into the housing. The rear its your call, when they rust out the strut will punch through the mount and poke into the interior of the car.

I'm glad I don't have any serious rusting areas on my vehicle, except for the front fenders! Thanks for the heads up!

KYB has rear boots, they are a combo of the bumper and an accordian style boot that gets zip-tied to the strut housing. Chances are your front boot is still plenty good.

Front mount, unbolt the top cover plat and see if the mount fits loosely or tightly into the housing. The rear its your call, when they rust out the strut will punch through the mount and poke into the interior of the car.