Chassis Inspection Results

91GranSport

I have a '91 Regal GS, original 3800 TPI and 4T60. Currently at 180,000km and I bought it 3 years ago when it had 140,000km.

I put my car up on jackstands today, to inspect the suspension and brakes. I greased up the ball joints and outer tie-rod ends. I've been noticing a slight rubbing sound during low-speed turns, so I thought that lack of grease might be the source of the problem. I inspected both front and rear brakes, and to my surprise they were all in excellent condition. There is still plenty of meat left on the all the pads, and the calipers show no signs of leaking. The rotors themselves have a bit of rust, but they are still quite thick and show no warping. The rear multi-link suspension still looks quite good with no bent links or broken pieces. I was able to take a closer look at the rear anti-sway bar. Knowing that the Addco rear sway bar is 7/8 inch thick, I'm sure that would make a significant difference considering the factory rear anti-swaybar has a very small diameter. All the bushings still look relatively good, and there are no signs of any serious rust areas on the chassis. I have undercoated the vehicle twice in the last 3 years and the undercoating is holding up quite well. The shocks themselves need to be replaced because my ride is way too bouncy. They don't show any signs of leaking fluid though, but I would like a much firmer ride.

I'm just thankful that everything is functioning right, because I know that it could be much worse. In due time I'll be replacing all four shocks with KYB GR-2s, and perhaps an Addco rear anti-swaybar. Eventually when I have more money I will repaint the entire vehicle.

Why do you say that? My chassis isn't rusting and I have no complaints with it. Considering how much it rains here in Vancouver I think it'd be a good thing.

Undercoating = very bad!

Currently at 180,000km

What is that, like 30 feet? :lol:

You don't read too many "There's nothing wrong with my W" posts. :cheers: to you for not finding anything broken

Why do you say that? My chassis isn't rusting and I have no complaints with it. Considering how much it rains here in Vancouver I think it'd be a good thing.

Undercoating = very bad!

Well, I guess it depends on the type of undercoating.

If you're having the smooth, oily, waxy type sprayed on, that should work pretty good.

If you're having the black, bumpy, thick tar-like stuff sprayed on, that stuff is bad news. This is what dealers like to put on new cars and charge $300 for.

I undercoated the undercarriage myself when I put it up on a lift. I used the spray on undercoating that dries in about 2-4 hours. It's paintable and it can either be smooth or bumpy, depending on how you spray it on. It works real well though.

Well, I guess it depends on the type of undercoating.

If you're having the smooth, oily, waxy type sprayed on, that should work pretty good.

If you're having the black, bumpy, thick tar-like stuff sprayed on, that stuff is bad news. This is what dealers like to put on new cars and charge $300 for.

I undercoated the undercarriage myself when I put it up on a lift. I used the spray on undercoating that dries in about 2-4 hours. It's paintable and it can either be smooth or bumpy, depending on how you spray it on. It works real well though.

Yeah, that's the bad stuff. It traps water and promotes rusting. Almost every car care manual and also Click & Clack say not to use it.

I had an old car whose floorboards were COMPLETE rusted out due to the undercoating.

My '89 Cutty has that undercoating too, and it's a lot rustier under there than the '88 which has never been undercoated. :(

The good stuff doesn't dry, it's oily and waxy at all times. It's sold in Europe as Waxoyl. I plan to make some home-made waxoyl to coat the frame of my truck as it's already getting rusty.

Damn, I got owned.

Yeah, that's the bad stuff. It traps water and promotes rusting. Almost every car care manual and also Click & Clack say not to use it.

I had an old car whose floorboards were COMPLETE rusted out due to the undercoating.

My '89 Cutty has that undercoating too, and it's a lot rustier under there than the '88 which has never been undercoated. :(

The good stuff doesn't dry, it's oily and waxy at all times. It's sold in Europe as Waxoyl. I plan to make some home-made waxoyl to coat the frame of my truck as it's already getting rusty.