So we bought a another car.....Impala SS

Canada

Well, this summer they had 0%......otherwise I wouldn't of bought it. But, got a 06 Impala SS. Really like the car, passing is a blast....and its good to have a 'nice' car. Got just over 3k miles on it so far......got t on July 3rd. I don't have any decent pictures of it yet, but its white with the dark interior and the metallic dash.....not the woodgrain.

First things first...this isn't a race car. Seems like every magazine I pick up that has a review of the car tears it apart for not having race car seats and a stiff suspension. That and the fact that it gets floaty at high speeds....which it does.....but, it doesn't have any aero body parts to speak of, nor is it dampened that heavyily....which makes for a better ride.

I really don't listen to XM much.....outside of Top 20 and the Techno stations......won't be paying for that after the 3 months is up.

On Star is nice.....really like the phone side of it, but I don't think I want to pay $20 a month for it.

Tires are 235/50/18 on all four, I think the GXP has staggered tires.....they are just RSAs, but I was actually surprised they are as quiet as they are.

The car actually torque steers less with the traction control off.....apparently that feeling is caused by the TCS applying the front brakes slightly. The down side is, if your not careful, you get a big cloud of smoke. Heheheheh.

The headrests have SS logos in them, something I have yet to see in the Monte.

Only getting about 20 mpg driving to and from work....haven't had it on open road yet.

I opted for the GMPP 5 year 75k mile warranty.....when you can do your own warranty work, you can perform miracles.

not bad. I drove a rental 06 Impala, but I didn't like it much... Seat were hard an rock, it's suspension transfered every #*(# pebble into your ass as well. and the steering was already crooked... it had already been curbed at 1284 miles. :sad:

It felt so ordinary. and I had trouble finding it in parking lots.

This statement from a guy whose father tried to rent a 91 Lumina Euro from National. Yeah, he could select any car on the lot and he pointed at mine and said "I'll take that one". he didn't realize it was mine or old.

it was a joke. no one got it. :confused:

I believe the 4th letter of the VIN is W. ;)

I also just found a dyno chart for the SS.....its one from K&N....

http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/63-3059.pdf

Their baseline power sounds about right, what do you guys think about their gain of 13.5 hp?

I wonder what it sounds like at idle, I've heard some L36s with various intakes, and they are kinda loud at just idle...I really don't want that.

it has to be nice to actually drive somehting new, as much as i keep saying how i like my old cars, i really would love to drive soething that dosen't need work every 2 minutes, and that actually has focus on build quality.

good pickup, hope it works out good for you.

I like the new Impalas. Very nice cars. I've driven GXPs but no SS Impalas, only 3800s (and 3500s). Only thing I don't like is the plastic material used on the door panels, but its the same as with some other GMs.

Their baseline power sounds about right, what do you guys think about their gain of 13.5 hp?

I believe that those numbers are off.

And why do YOU think they are off?

I'm not going to say yea or nay until I see INDEPENDENT testing of a CAI on a V8 Impala, but there are PLENTY of cars out there that show double digit power gains of of a CAI.

Look at a Hyundai Tiburon (with a little 2.7L V6)............they get 13whp from a CAI.........and that's on a 140ish whp engine (9% or so)...........I could see an Impala getting a 5-6 % gain.

Maybe.

We shall see..............

i like the fact that GM brought back the v8 but they deserve a kick in the nuts for not moving the monte/impala to the zeta platform. I was gonna buy one but decided realy quick not to when i was in looking at one and saw 2 in the service bays both with tranny 'splodin problems... this was less than 6 months from when you could first get them up here

Huh....thats weird, because I work in the service department at a Chevrolet store, and we haven't had a single transmission out of a 2006 Impala, let alone a SS.

In fact, the only work we ever see are some recalls.....there was a reprogram for the EBCM for some of the first 06s with 17" wheels........and one for the seat track, but it was a pretty small group of cars. Some of them squeak the window seal when you roll it up and down.....and just some basic maintance. Some of the 06 Ws used for business use or the Enterprise rentals have 40k+ miles on them.

could very well have been a fluke but there was 2 of them in for tranny work. kinda shyed me away from the first run vehicle, decided to wait for an 07 if i do decide to change up... but now with the camaro coming out for 2008 or 9 whenever they are actually putting them in the showrooms i might wait for that

Yeah.....I know this.....but you need to figure out which category of car you want to buy. I plan fully on buying a Camaro when the new one comes out......I really like it. I just hope they have a blue collar verison that keeps it in the same price range as the Mustang GT....which is currently at $26k.

lets just say when they switched the monte style in 2000 i thought it would have been a RWD with a manual option... Wrong so needless to say when they redid the car in 2006 i thought the same thing again... ohhh how dissapointed i was. I still think every other day about doing a 5 or 6 speed swap for my monte