List of problems. - Updated

skiiirt

Ok so the car has ran fantastic in the last 5 or so months. As far as its typical spending habits; the work I have put in seems to have finally paid itself off. Anyways.

1) When I am cruising at low speeds (10mph max) There is a noise that sounds like a thumping, you can hear it slow down accordingly to my speed. It almost sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car.

2) I have also noticed a new popping sound coming from what sounds like the rear as well. Almost as if there was a 2x4 strapped to my trunklid and it vibrates on big bumps. Maybe these 2 are related. I have checked my trunk for loose things but nothing is out of the ordinary. I have removed everything in the back and it still makes the noise

I just had the spring pads that sit underneath the springs replaced. Could be possible they fell off but I doubt it.

Any light you could shed on my problems would be greatly appreciated. The noise is so loud its embarassing, as well it's louder than i normally keep the music, thus the problem :wink:

Muchas gracias

Could be a bad strut. I had one that made creaking and crunching sounds. It only did it on small bumps.

Older W-bodies also had a fairly heavy rear strut boot that would bounce around and make noise. When the jounce bumper deteriorated enough, the boot would fall and bounce on the strut. It made noises similar to the sound of loose items in the trunk.

Could be a bad strut. I had one that made creaking and crunching sounds. It only did it on small bumps.

Older W-bodies also had a fairly heavy rear strut boot that would bounce around and make noise. When the jounce bumper deteriorated enough, the boot would fall and bounce on the strut. It made noises similar to the sound of loose items in the trunk.

replaced my rear struts for the same reason!

The rattling noise has become extremely loud. Especially outside the vehicle.

It happens constantly while driving now. Whatever is making the noise used to be partially attached and made the noise every once in a while, now it seems like it has been detached and is bouncing around. Sounds really bad.

Strut boot?

The "thumping in tune to the speed" sounds to me like a wheel bearing, but since struts were mentioned, you should also check your upper strut mount(s.) It's definitely good times when one of those lets loose, especially if your strut doesn't have any charge left in it.

mount.jpg

strut1.jpg

dsstrut.jpg

Took the car to work to replace the rear sway bar mounting brackets.

Unfortunately they are a dealer only part so NAPA doesn't carry them. Dunno about the American chains. I paid around $70 for the 2 brackets and i used the old bushings as they appeared to be fine.

the thumping noise when I'm cruising at low speeds. It happens any time below 40km/h. I will have it into a mechanic Thursday when i get home from work.