CSI_MuNkY

I recently installed the subs and Amp I bought just before my car went off the road. I love it! but I have some questions. First off the subs are two 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 punches, the amp is C-bads old Kenwood 500W,.

My questions pertain to the box they are in. It is a ported Banpass box.

md-CIMG1379.JPG

Inside each of the port tubes I can see some fibreglass insulation. I'm wondering what the point of this is. What will adding or subtracting some of the insulation do to the sound?

md-CIMG1381.JPG

Secondly, the peice of plexi on the front, what will happen to the sound if that is removed?

I'm a complete Noob when it comes to sub technology, right now I'm just trying to get a feel for the basics before I go and build a custom enclosure for the trunk.

Thanx

Jamie

That box is of the plain old Bandpass variety. If you remove the plexi, it wil sound even worse as the plexi is holding the air in so it can be directed out of the ports on either side. I would ditch that box imediatelly. Bandpass boxes are no the best at anything. I recommend a nice sealed box if you like smooth easy blending bass, or a ported box if you like heavy loud bass.

Thats the box they came in. I just don't have the know how, time, or cash right now to build a new enclosure. I've got a picture in my head of what I want it to look like, I just have to get the time and do some research on building boxes. The new box will likely be sealed. My hope is to do my research and crap over the winter months and then towards the end of the winter start building it.

Jamie

Bandpass boxes have their place, but they suck IMO. Deff go with sealed if you want SQL. Most prefabs are cheap and will work well with the subs you have. Just makre sure you get one with enough cu.ft. for your subs. Or get one made. Either way its cheap.

Even a prefab sealed box from any retailer would probably sound better than that box.

x3

The sealed box I got in my car was $30 at Forest City Surplus on Dundas.... I'm sure a dual 10" box woun't be that much and take up less space than that ugly monster.

when i was still into car audio, not to say i am not anymore i just dont want a system in my monte, i used to pick up the cheap ass boxes from a place like xs cargo and spend some money on a good glue and reline all the seams on the inside with a new layer of glue... until i got my 12" alpine rtypes i never had a problem with those boxes. after chunking 3 of them out i decided to build my own but those cheapies saved me alot of time and money in the beginning

It shouldnt take much research to build a sealed box. RF has some reccomened enclosure sizes, figure out your maximum sizes and work from there.

Bandpass boxes can be very beneficial, but them prefabs are all JOKES. Unless your box is specific built chances are your not even close to extracting your subs true potential.

If you are indeed after SQ go sealed. SQL go ported tuned low (28-low 30's) and more SPL enclined ported higher tuning.

I build and design boxes. Currently Im building 4 boxes @ 60$ each, its a special Im running on another forum. Your box can be ported or sealed, comes carpeted. Just screw your sub in and run your own speaker wire and shes ready to rock.

Designs run $35, will cut you a deal though if interested. Give you a full cut sheet and all that jazz, you just cuts, glue and screw it together.

Thanx for the offer Ryan. For now my brother thinks he has a box I can use. The enclosure I want to build will fit perfectly into the trunk and have some fancy lights and crap on it, so the research I have to get time to do is more mapping out the trunk area, lol. Not only that, with winter coming up I was informed that it would be in my bext interests to pull the subs in the sub zero temps so I will likely be doing that in a month or so...

Jamie

Ah your fine, you just need to let the subs warm up before pounding on them.

Granted Im not as far north as you, but it does get fairly cold here... Back in the day I seen a guy toast 3 12" JL W6's by just jumping in the cold car and letting them blast ;)

Ph and for your opriginal question, the fiberglass is used sorta like poly fill. It makes that area seem larger. In transmission line boxes its used to slow the wave...

Well when you really think about it, a sub is like a motor. When its below 0* you wouldnt start your car then go beat the shit out of that, so why do it do the sub! Makes no sense. Usually in the winter here, I just turn my subs off on the HU.