o2 sensor

Nick1234

So the other day while the car was running, the O2 sensor got unplugged. Well right then and there my idling problem went away. The chugging stopped and i could let it sit for 20 minutes and it won't die now. From what i understand the car is now running in open loop. Is it bad to drive around with it unplugged. It should always be running rich now. I think this proves my crossover is bad aswell.

Nick

If you have a scanner you will notice that after a while the O2 sensor crosscounts will start to drop as the sensor loses is sensitivty due to the excess carbon building up on it. I only had a crappy Bosch sensor on the Lumina when I sold it. I would maybe try out an new AC Delco or maybe an NGK as I've heard a lot of good things about their O2 sensors. I know for a fact that the x-over in the Lumina had a very small crack in it when I sold it. It was on the front flex joint right where you could easily see it.

Here's a pic from when I put the car up for sale:

lumina25.jpg

Here are the rest if you want to see them all:

http://fp.enter.net/~nicolette/lumina.htm

I replaced the o2 sensor back in may i think and it didn't make any difference at all. Still ran terrible at idle. I put a bosch sensor in it. I want to repalce the crossover bellows, but i was going to wait a while cause it will cost a little bit of money. The only thing is the car is running great now. It will sit and idle all day unlike before when it would die all the time. Would a different O2 sensor make a difference, or will i do damage without the current one plugged in.