So Ive been thinking...

19Cutlass94

About putting two 18's in place of my backseat. Specifically the 19Ov.2. I already have all the wiring needed and have an amp to use with these subs. I would just have to work on the box, and placement. Im not sure if I would have them in a sealed box, or IB??? I just need to make a couple measurements to make sure two 18's would fit without cutting anything, but they would be angled a little bit

Any thoughts/opinions?

The only thing thats mostly keeping me from doing this would be the weight of everything. I mean these subs that I would be using are 72lbs each! so thats 144lbs plus the box. So Im looking at like 200lbs of audio equipment ( subs and box ), as of where right now I only have about 70lbs.

personally, i wouldn't do it...I think its just an invitation to get your car broken into, and a waste of money, IMHO

Seriously, that stuff has to be a serious amount of dough...put an L67 in the car instead

or get a vehicle better equipt for HD Audio Equipment

No offense but obviously buying 18's you want some loud subs that hit high DB's well they arent going to sound good (or to their full potentiial) in a CS Coupe.

Altogether this project would be roughly $700 ( shooting high ) And just because they are 18" subs, doesnt mean they sound bad... infact some people on their forum say they like them better than the 13Ov.2's ( 12" sub ) and plus in a sealed box ( which is more SQ ) and right now my 13Ov.2's are ported... So really, not only would it be a shitload louder, but it would probably sound better as well. It doesnt matter what kind of car you do an audio project in, its the install that matters as to how everything will sound.

I myself have been kicking arround this very idea for a couple of years now. And I hate to say it, but there are some major hurdles to overcome to make this even possible.

The most feasible way of doing this would be in a IB setup. The problem with this scenerio is that it basically turns the trunk of your car into a woofer box. And in order to achieve the best possible performance, you would have to do one hell of a job sealing off the trunk.

The one thing I has been floating arround in my head is a way of possibly removing the whole rear seat, creating a box that goes from the floor at the back of the front seats, on an angle ending at the rear deck, in the vicinity of where the rear seat back would end up. It would almost make a quasi wedge enclosure. And depending on the size of drivers used it could also be an amprack.

But this all theoretical. :willynilly:

One day Im gonna weigh everything in my trunk just to know what it is :lol:

But if I went with a sealed box, I would have to build the box inside the trunk. So basically the only way to remove it would be to break it up. This would be an absolute PITA to do, but is possible. But like you said, the whole trunk would be used as a 'box' either way...

The only thing about doing it the way you said Puggsley, is that you would still have to connect everything and make it an actual box. If you didnt and only let the MDF board from the floor to the rear deck, theres no way you could even attempt to seal everything off, so yet once again, it has to be made inside the car.

But this all theoretical. :willynilly:

Dont get me wrong, Id love to do this, but yeah, it is lol

18's In a car is really only a waste, 12's in a car our size are more than adequate to get the job done, If you want it to be louder and deeper, you need to invest in a better set of 12's. 18's are really only a competion sub designed for lets say a vehicle with alot more air space, basically instead of sounding loud and crazy in the car like your 12's do, you would sound the best 20 feet away, thats just from my experience.

Ive helped put out many sound comp cars, and helped put together my buddies tahoe that hits a 162, 12's are your best bet.

Someone should post that picture of the guy with that huge ass sun in his Monte? IIIRC it was 50" or something?? and he had to cut the back of his car and reweld it to put the sub in

18's In a car is really only a waste, 12's in a car our size are more than adequate to get the job done, If you want it to be louder and deeper, you need to invest in a better set of 12's. 18's are really only a competion sub designed for lets say a vehicle with alot more air space, basically instead of sounding loud and crazy in the car like your 12's do, you would sound the best 20 feet away, thats just from my experience.

Ive helped put out many sound comp cars, and helped put together my buddies tahoe that hits a 162, 12's are your best bet.

x2

Well of course the 18's will be louder and deeper. Louder, hence more cone area, more air movement. Deeper, dence the sealed box. The 12's I have right now rank with Focals. So that should tell you something. And if you think 18's are only for comps, your wrong.

I think this would be a cool project to do, and not only would it be fucking loud, it would also sound good!

plus bragging rights, nobody else here has probably had 2 18's. people probably will talk smack because they are jealous and too pussy to get 18's.

Right, man. A logical explanation and opposing criticism of an idea is "pussy" and "talking smack". :roll:

plus bragging rights, nobody else here has probably had 2 18's. people probably will talk smack because they are jealous and too pussy to get 18's.

:rolleyes: yes I am to "pussy" to expirement with audio equipment.

Im not saying to not go ahead and try to do it, yes, it would be cool, but like I said, our cars do not have the air space to even let an 18 do its job, not to mention, it is a fact that since the 18 does move more air and is a deeper therefore louder sub, more of that sound that you want to retain is going to instead travel to means outside of your car, youll be sounding good from 20-30 feet away, inside the cab will more than likely be extremely distorted, you will have decent SPL, but i doubt itll be any higher than your current 144. But hey as its been stated, opinions are like assholes, ive got one, youve got one.

yeah shawn your vote doesnt count :lol:

:joke:

But judging from what you guys think about this, I would hate to see what you have to say about building a wall. Wether it be 12 10's or 8 12's etc etc.

I had one in a sealed box that wasnt that big maybe 3-4 cubic feet with like 300 denon watts. that was over 10 years ago.

I almost put an 18 in where my w-7 mounts in the wheelwell enclosure. but most are 4 to 8 ohms. you would need 2 to bridge down the ohms. most amps now are stable to 1 ohm. thats 3 4 ohm 18's.

JL amps got RIPS though so if you put 1kw amp to a 4 ohm speaker it will see 1k watts.

but to wall off a coupe. thats what you do when you want 2 18's. there is basically no other practical way.