radiator fans

95 Cutlass Drop Top

• 2 weeks later...

I had this dilema. The left fan, looking from the drivers seat, is the primary fan. This should kick on at approx. 240-260 degrees. The right fan, which is the secondary, should only kick on when AC is depressed, or you have an overheat condition. You should not want to see this fan on. You can check the fans ops by jumping connectors to 12v, just to make sure it works. This is all to the best of my knowledge. I even went as far as hooking my secondary fan directly to my primary, before I knew this. I have since removed that connection, because it sounds and feels like a C130 taking off when my primary kicks in.

Hope this helps!

I hope your primary fan kicks on before the motor gets to 240*.

My primary kicks on at the T-stat temp 180*, then the 2nd fan at 220*

Robby

My car is stock and has the 195 themostat so why would the fan kick on earlier? I always thought it was around 210 for the primary. The ECM is tuned for a 195 temp motor.

maybe mines 195* I dont know, I do that while on the highway, I run about 180-185*. Those temps I gave are what mine does, I have a stock T-stat and stock ECM.

Robby

I have since removed that connection, because it sounds and feels like a C130 taking off when my primary kicks in.

really? cool!

I like the way the fan sounds... now I wanna rig up a manual override for the fans... make them both come on at the same time.... because with just the one fan, it sounds kinda intimidating when sitting at the lights... like it's something that needs to suck in a bunch of air :twisted:

On mine, I just connected the secondary fan wire to the primary fan.

Both fans runs when the primary fan switch kicks in. It is feels like a C130 taking off as Jon Forston said. I don't mind my fan running like C130 as long as it is good for my cooling system and besides I can't barely hear it with the hood closed down and along with the exhaust sound.