Chevy dealer feeding me BS...

Z34-5speed

A local Chevy dealer tried to tell me that the timing on my car is computer controlled and cannot be set. :lol: He also said that it is near impossible for it to jump timing. Looks like i wont be taking the car to this dealer for a timing job.

Kyle

The timing IS computer controlled. It runs off of a crank sensor, not a distributor that you can turn to dial in timing. I guess I haven't heard of too many 3.4s jump time either, usually the belt just shreds and it freewheels. Not saying it's impossible, but not that common.

i was thinking the same thing justin is thinking. the timing IS computer controled to an extent.

and as far as i know it is near impossable for it to jump time.

2 different issues.

Ignition timing is computer controlled and impossible for it to jump time.

Cam timing is another issue and can jump timing or be set incorrectly since the cam sprockets aren't keyed.

2 different issues.

Ignition timing is computer controlled and impossible for it to jump time.

Cam timing is another issue and can jump timing or be set incorrectly since the cam sprockets aren't keyed.

what this guy said.

impossible for it to jump time.

We still haven't got the technology to go back to the future?

Haha...Hi-Larious!

Umm, the GM dealer here is stupid as well. I got my old car appraised, and he said because of the swing of the clutch pedal, he could tell it needed a new clutch, and they'd only give me $2000 for it. Well I paid $5000, I ended up selling it for $4800. The icing on the cake was the fact it got a brand new clutch right before I bought it. It came with the receipt, and it was done 1 month before I bought it. So I took my keys from him, told him there is no chance in hell he's touching my car or my money when I need a new car, and I drove away. And here I am...2000 Dodge Dakota lol

As Justin said, the dealership is right. You need to mention "camshaft timing" instead of just "timing" to them and then they should know what you mean.

I did mention cam timing. I asked him after he said that the "timing" was computer controlled. I said "really? The "cam" timing is computer controlled? He then repeated himself.

Kyle

I did mention cam timing. I asked him after he said that the "timing" was computer controlled. I said "really? The "cam" timing is computer controlled? He then repeated himself.

Kyle

Who did you talk to at the dealer, a service writer? It sounds more like a misunderstanding than a guy that didn't know his stuff.