Sound System Installed!

Grand Moff Joseph

To make a long story short, my old Alpine HU blew over a month ago, so I decided to do some audio upgrading since I was forced to shop for a new HU anyway.

Anyway, my goal in this entire process was to improve the sound by adding more bass and overall depth/richness, not to win SPL tournaments. So, with that in mind, the Lumina went into outpatient surgery today at the local audio shop, but she turned out beautiful!

The Goods:

Pioneer HU (model DEH-P6800MP)

Phoenix Gold amp (300w, 2-channel)

Total Mobile Audio* sub (12", 150 watts RMS, using a sealed box)

Pioneer speakers (existing speakers as of 09/04; 4-way in rear, 2-way in front)

*Total Mobile Audio is the shelf name for JL Audio's entry level series of hardware

The Pics:

sound1.jpg

sound2.jpg

sound3.jpg

sound4.jpg

The Verdict:

I am absolutely, 100% satisfied with the outcome, as it is EXACTLY what I wanted: more depth, noticeable bass, but not overdone in any way. The amp really boosted the output from the speakers, and the sub has just the right amount of kick for my tastes. I may not win a SPL tourney with this system, but I love it! Thanks to all for their advice and info!

-GMJ

question tho...where did you put your ground wire in your trunk? i'd love to turn my box in that direction to hide my mess of wires

I'm not sure, as I was not able to watch everything that the audio shop guys were doing. From what I could tell, the ground must have been run to either the lip of the metal that supports the back seat, or up to the tower where the torque rod bars are.

btw prepare to get moved

You mean to the Car Audio forum? Yeah, I thought I should have put this there. Looks like I guessed wrong... :lol:

ooh ok. i thought you did the install. cool tho, thanks for the possible locations! i've gone over my entire trunk to try to find an ground(without drilling and whatnot) but i'l have to look on the seat back a little more

ooh ok. i thought you did the install. cool tho, thanks for the possible locations! i've gone over my entire trunk to try to find an ground(without drilling and whatnot) but i'l have to look on the seat back a little more

any of the metal in there will work just fine, just remember to grind off all the paint wherever youre attaching the ground loop to

I want your HU. I love those Pioneers.

Awesome setup, sounds exactly like what I want.

If you are just going for improved sound quality with moderate bass and improved depth, I'd recommend this setup to anyone. Obviously, your choice of hardware is up to you, but all I have is a 350w amp and a 150w sub, and that put plenty of balls into my stereo.

I like the headunit and amp. Old school PG stuff is KILLER! But you said that your speakers are amped? With what? The sub I am not a big fan of.....with only a 7.9mm xmax.

But If you like it......that is all that matters! :)

Edit:

Just found this......Damn that company has some good lineage :thumb:

JL Audio, manufacturer of aftermarket automotive auto sound systems, has acquired Total Mobile Audio.

Total Mobile Audio was founded early in 2004 by industry veteran, Dan McLeod and his wife, Deb McLeod. Prior to founding the new company, Mr. McLeod held the position of VP-Sales & Product Development with the Rockford Corporation. Total Mobile Audio offers a compact line of attractively priced auto sound components including amplifiers, component speakers and subwoofers.

Well, what I meant was, is now that I have an amp in the mix, the speakers seem to sound much better than they did before I put the amp in. So, in other words, I think the amp has allowed the speakers to reach their potential.

Speaking of the amp, I picked it up off of a friend for less than $100, figuring, 'hey, it's old, cheap and it works'; I did not realize Phoenix Gold's reputation until the installers at the audio shop complimented me on my choice of an amp. :lol:

Looks good, man! Does she rattle the doors off?

any of the metal in there will work just fine, just remember to grind off all the paint wherever youre attaching the ground loop to

A good spot is up high on the "rear firewall" hidden behind the carpet. As was mentioned, be sure you scrape off the paint underneath where you attach the wire to the chassis. Hell, I drilled a pilot hole and used a "license plate" screw with a giant head to connect my ground wire. Works great, but I gotta remember to loosen that screw if I ever remove my back seat :lol: .

Well, what I meant was, is now that I have an amp in the mix, the speakers seem to sound much better than they did before I put the amp in. So, in other words, I think the amp has allowed the speakers to reach their potential.

I know what you mean there, but I think it's the sub's presence that's making everything seem louder. When I added a tiny sub to my system, I didn't need to crank the volume as high to get the intended sound level as I did w/o the sub. And I have amped separates in my doors! A little "bump" is better than none, I guess :lol: ...

I want your HU. I love those Pioneers.

Awesome setup, sounds exactly like what I want.

You want mine? Ive been thinking about selling it and getting something with high preout voltage.

looks good dude!! Too bad they didn't flush mount your H/U.....but anything else looks great!

I honestly did not know that you could do that with an aftermarket H/U. I thought it was just a standard fact that the headunit would stick out a bit due to the dash kit that has to be used. (oh well... :lol:)

As for the rattling, it doesn't rattle the doors off. Come to think of it, my door handles are broken, so they wouldn't come off anyway! :lol: :bash:

do you mind.....but what did you pay for the H/U?

$189 plus shipping from Etronics.com. I checked this price at Bizrate against other major retailers, and this was the best price hands down. Not a bad deal considering Short-Circuit City/Worst Buy wanted over $300 for it plus installation, and Pioneer had an MSRP of $249