Planning my system... need a lot of advice

buckethead

OK, I'm trying to lay the groundwork for my system install in my charger. Right now it's all factory except for my Pioneer DEH-6700MP and the corresponding ipod interface. There's 6 factory speakers: 2 rear deck, 2 front door, and 2 dash. I'm going to be completely replacing all the speakers, adding subs, and wiring amps. I'm going for QUALITY sound and not necessarily LOUD. I want to get my plans layed out before I start purchasing.

First off, the two front door speakers and the rear deck speakers are 6x9. I already have a set of Pioneer TS-A6991R 5-way 6x9 speakers brand new in the box so I'd really like to use those to save money if they are good enough (I want really really really good sound). So, should I a)use these speakers for the front doors and get another set of the same for the rear, B) use these speakers for the rear and get something better for the front doors, or c) scrap said speakers and go for all new ones. Should I maybe go for component speakers instead? Are they really that much better than coaxial speakers?

Second, my front dash speakers are 3.5s. Does anyone have any suggestions for a really good 3.5 speaker? and, does anyone have any suggestions on wiring them up so they sound good. Should I get some bass blockers for them, or are there other options?

Third: amps. I already know I'm going to need a good amp for my subs, and picking up a sub amp is pretty straightforward. Wiring the amp/amps up for the speakers is a different story. With 6 speakers (4 6x9s and 2 3.5s) I'm not what type of amp to get, or how to wire it up. Can I get a 4 channel amp and run the dash speakers off the same terminals as the front door speakers? Should I keep the dash speakers running off the deck and amp all the other ones? Is there a better way of doing this?

Finally, subs. I want clean and tight bass, so I'm thinking sealed box right? I want either 2 12"s or 3 10"s and a good amp to match, so I need some brand and model suggestions.

And I'll clue you all in on how I want to set up my trunk enclosure. I'm going to construct a door over the spare tire well so that I can still access my spare tire and battery (charger has battery in trunk for stock location... cool!). That door is actually going to be an amp tray made out of sandwitched together mdf panels with space in between for the amps. I want both amps back there including the one running the speakers. The top panel will have plexiglass windows over the amps for viewing. To match the thickness of the door, the rest of the trunk floor will be raised so the door sits flush when closed. This will allow space underneith the floor for wiring and sound deadening. On top of the floor behind the rear seats and under the rear deck will sit the sub enclosure. The tricky part is that everything: amp rack/door, sub enclosure, raised floor, and trunk sides, will all be upholstered in black neoprene and look completely professional with no exposed wires. I'm not sure if I'll be able to figure out how to do that on my own, or if I'll have to shell out the money to have someone else do it. Any suggestions on setting up the trunk enclosure are welcome as well.

I would put the Pioneers in the rear- they're mostly filler anyways.

Forget the "6 speaker" setup.. instead:

Get some nice 6.5" components for the front- put the woofer in the door, and the tweeter in the dash. Slight modification may be required but at least the holes are NOT to small. Component sets should come with a couple different ways to mount the tweeter.

That's what I would do anyways, since it's you got a nice space for the tweeter to go into. 3.5" speakers are gonna suck anyways.

4ch amp to power the rear and front components. Nice balanced sound.

For subs sealed is generally considered the best for sound quality, plus the boxes take up less space. You said you don't need LOUD, I'd say that 2x 10" would be good enough. (I have 1x 12" in my car and it's plenty for what I like).

I would replace the Pioneers in the back with a nice set of midbass drivers. And I would also put a set of 6.5 compnents in the doors. But I would like to see you get a set of components that have the option of adding an additional image tweeter to raise the soundstage up to the front windshield. I would place one tweeter in the factory 3.5" location and the other in the area of the A pillar. Now as the subs would go I would say that 1 good 12 or maybe a 15 if you want to go all out, in a sealed application would be your best bet.

And as far as amps go....it really depends on what sub and speakers you chose. Would you rather buy something locally or over the net to save some money?

I have fallen in Love with Elemental Designs. Extremlly good Sound Quality and fairly inexpensive too.

Now first off, how much are you willing to spend?

I your going with subs, leave the stock rear speakers, there just rear fill anyways. Like C-Bad said, get a nice pair of 6.5" components. Take out the 3.5" speakers completely. Youll want to run the 6x9's off the deck, no 3.5" speakers and run the 6.5" component set off an amp. Just because you have 6speakers, doesnt mean it will sound good with 6 speakers.

Since you want more of an 'SQ' system, yes you will want a sealed box. For subs and an amp Id say this for you:

Subs - http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=34

Amp - http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=47

• 2 weeks later...

well, I'm not overly concerned with the cost... I'm willing to spend the extra money to get it done RIGHT! It might just mean it'll take longer to save up and I'll probably have to purchase piece by piece.

I already have those pioneer 6x9s so rather than leave the stock speakers in the rear deck, I'll stick the pioneers there. It seems though, I should defininitly look into some component sets for the front sound stage...

I would replace the Pioneers in the back with a nice set of midbass drivers. And I would also put a set of 6.5 compnents in the doors. But I would like to see you get a set of components that have the option of adding an additional image tweeter to raise the soundstage up to the front windshield. I would place one tweeter in the factory 3.5" location and the other in the area of the A pillar. Now as the subs would go I would say that 1 good 12 or maybe a 15 if you want to go all out, in a sealed application would be your best bet.

And as far as amps go....it really depends on what sub and speakers you chose. Would you rather buy something locally or over the net to save some money?

I have fallen in Love with Elemental Designs. Extremlly good Sound Quality and fairly inexpensive too.

You mention components with an option for an additional tweeter... can you recommend any brands/models that have this option?

also, what brands out there are considered "the best" in car audio.... like i said i'm willing to spend the extra $$$ to get it done right, and I want the best of the best providing I don't have to mortgage my house to get it. as far as elemental designs go, i've really never heard of them outside of this forum, so i'm a little wary of using that brand... what mainstream brands should I look into?

There are a few components off the top of my head that come to mind, Mostly CDT audio have the extra tweeter option.

But I Highly recommend these, And I am sure 19Cutlass94 will as well...

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=50

Theyhave an extra output on the crossover for a "Image Tweeter". An addition set of tweeters can be purchase form elemental Designs for I believe an extra $50. This is what I am strongly considering doing to my own set up.

I have been using eD for the better part of 5 years. And their quality IMO is very good for them money.

And they have a nice forum discount going on right now, if you join their forum at http://www.icixsound.com

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=90

I got some JL 3 way components being shipped in right now. will let you know how they sound and if I think they are worth the $550. give me a couple months to get them installed though.

• 3 weeks later...

bump.... anyone else got any suggestions?

I've been looking around and I'm seeing a lot of stuff I like from JL and from Alpine. Does anyone else have any good brands to look into? Brands for amps? Brands for subs? Brands for components?

I got some JL 3 way components being shipped in right now. will let you know how they sound and if I think they are worth the $550. give me a couple months to get them installed though.

you got a link to the set you bought? I was looking at their website and had a hard time finding 3 way components. I also heard getting 3-way components set up right was a BITCH, and that 2 ways are a lot easier to get sounding right.

I second what everyone else said. Use the 6x9s for rear fill, of use no rear speakers at all and run a good 6.5" comp set in the front. CDT makes good speakers, Focal and JL are nice to, but if i were you I would go to as many shops as you can and listen to all the speakers they have. Then you can decide what sounds best to YOU.

I would go with 2 10s or 2 12s. Even one good 12 might work for you. I prefer ported boxes, they can have just as good SQ as selaed if built right and they can get louder with less watts. Some sub companies to look into are Ascendant Audio, RE, Adire Audio and for the best SQ JL and Elemental Designs.

when I got my jl 3 ways, he recommended focal over JL but they were like $650 on up. plus they are not made in germany and packaged in USA like JL is. and thats important to me. I know JL is guilty of outsourcing some stuff, amps are made in Korea. I dont buy the amps from them no more. :lol:

when I got my jl 3 ways, he recommended focal over JL but they were like $650 on up. plus they are not made in germany and packaged in USA like JL is. and thats important to me. I know JL is guilty of outsourcing some stuff, amps are made in Korea. I dont buy the amps from them no more. :lol:

My friends JL amp overheated like nothing ive ever seen. I swear you could have cooked eggs on that thing! He still has a scar on his hand from touching it.