Quick subowoofer question

Grand Moff Joseph

I'm buying a single sub to add to my car's audio setup, and I am now presented with two choices:

1. Pioneer 12" 800w woofer ($40 on clearance at Circuit City - last year's model)

2. JL Audio 12" woofer (I can't remember wattage at this time, but it is comparable; $50 at local audio shop)

So, my dilemma is this: These subs are virtually the same price, brand new, in box, so price is a moot point. But, the JL Audio sub is actually branded as a "Total Audio" product, which is JL Audio's "entry level/budget" line. My instinct tells me to go with the Pioneer, as it is a brand name I know and trust, but then again, since both subs are the same price, it can't be that much better than the JL sub

Ideas/Input are appreciated (esp. if your name is Jay and you live in ALbany) ;) :mrgreen:

Again, the box will help out the install. Are you wanting to go with sealed or vented? What amp are you using to power the sub?

By just going with Pioneer or JL, I would choose JL. They are a very good sub, which has been proven time and time again. I know what Pioneer sub your talking about, and youll be much happier with the JL.

JL in a sealed box with ~200w RMS = :thumb:

To answer the above questions:

1. As for the box, I don't know. My car goes under the knife tomorrow at the local audio shop to have a new headunit installed, and run the wires for the rest of the hardware, as I am still on the fence as to what sub I want. I would assume that the audio shop techs would use whatever style box works best for the sub I choose and the characteristics of the car. That being said, should I demand one style box over the other?? I'm looking for higher quality sound, not earth shattering bass - my car rattles enough already, I don't want to add to it :lol:

2. The amp is a 300w, 2-channel Phoenix Gold amp. I showed it to my contact at the audio shop, and he spoke highly of that series of amps, and gave it a thumbs up. (NOTE: I bought the amp off of a friend of mine for cheap, but it has not been abused, and works fine)

What's the big difference between sealed and vented boxes? What do they do for the sub's performance?

/cliff's notes version please

//or, point me to a old thread if this is a rehash subject

Vented = Bigger, louder bass.

I went from 2 12''s sealed to one 10'' vented and the 10'' blows the 12''s out of the water.

For you I'd go with sealed though since you don't want earth shattering bass.

I have a 12" Pioneer in a Bassworx box and powering with a cheap 400watt rms sony amp....the two work nice together, and for what I am trying to accomplish the pair work great.....but I'm jump on the bandwasgin and say the JL is superior.. I just got a good deal on this combo from my buddy

I agree JL over pioneer anyday!

I had a JL W0 in sealed box and it really impressed me.

But generally speaking....

sealed boxes are geared towards even response throughout all frequencies, and are often said to have more clear and smoth bass thus, "sound quality". While they can get loud they are limited in their pottential output.

Ported boxes tend to get louder in certain frequencies(typically 15-20hz above the tuning frequency) than sealed boxes do, therefore have a higher pottential output. But they are also vulnerable to frequencies which are lower than the tuning of the enclosure. And if not built and tuned properlly, can more easily damage the subwoofer. Also when powering a sub in a ported box, the power output of the amplifier needs to be taken into account. As the amount of power that a sub can take in a ported enclosure is less than what it can take in a sealed enclosure.

But it all boils down to how much space you want to give up....and what your drivers prefer.

pioneer is good for spl with some sq, but limited lows. good for competition/ported boxes.

jl is good for sq with some spl too. does stuff other woofers cant.